Shearman, Willkie, Schulte, or Clifford Chance (All NYC)? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which Firm?

Willkie
45%
Shearman
28%
Schulte
7%
Clifford Chance
21%

Total votes: 29

Anonymous User

Shearman, Willkie, Schulte, or Clifford Chance (All NYC)?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:24 pm

Corporate focused, and mostly interested in Debt/Finance work. I'm interested in PE because the debt stuff seems more interesting there. Also really interested in Project Finance, which is why Shearman is in the mix, but I don;t have a great gauge on the exit options are and if they're any good. Seems like based on second looks that people go into banks, but I have no idea how successful project finance attorneys are at pulling that. Seems like project finance definitely isn't great for going in house.

Leaning Willkie because of the PE work, but is Schulte a solid option? Seems like they do more fund formation work than PE deals (which would go with their HF work). Is the Finance/Project Work going to be much better at Shearman that I shouldn't worry about wanting to do PE work? I also have Clifford Chance on the table but the other firms seem like better options, am I missing something here?

Would love any advice.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Shearman, Willkie, or Schulte (All NYC)?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:24 am

Morning bump. Some commentary with the votes would also be really helpful and appreciated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:21 am

Shearman is the best among your options for capital markets, project finance and PE. Schulte is good for hedge funds, but you don't want to limit yourself to hedge funds yet.
Based on your interests and firm prestige, if I were you, I'd have narrowed the options down to Shearman and Clifford Chance in the first place.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:24 pm

Any commentary from the people voting for Willkie, or especially CC? CC seems like they do lesser work, and their reputation comes from their international position, but I'd definitely be interested in them because I like the smaller feel of their office and class size.

itbdvorm

Gold

Re: Shearman, Willkie, Schulte, or Clifford Chance (All NYC)?

Post by itbdvorm » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:37 pm

Going to respond to a few of these.

For whatever it's worth, I voted for Shearman (but only by a touch over Willkie). I think those two have far and away the most diverse corporate practices of this group, with some groups at each being stronger than the other.

Long term, I think no matter which of those two you pick, your skillsets will find a place that makes sense (i.e., M&A at Shearman vs. PE at Willkie, Project Finance at Shearman vs. RE Finance at Willkie, etc.). All good firms, go wherever you connected best with the people. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Re: Shearman, Willkie, Schulte, or Clifford Chance (All NYC)?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:44 pm

Anyone who picked CC want to chime in? Or any other thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”