DC: Gibson Dunn vs. Paul Hastings Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where should I go?

Gibson Dunn
92%
Paul Hastings
No votes
Other (Cleary Gottlieb, Davis Polk)
8%

Total votes: 12

Anonymous User

DC: Gibson Dunn vs. Paul Hastings

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:47 pm

Hi folks,

I've gotten a few DC offers, but these are the two I'm considering most strongly (although Cleary and DPW are also in the mix). Obviously, there's a fair amount of similarity (West Coast firms, well-regarded for quality of life, similar practice areas, etc.) so I just wanted to hear thoughts from the TLS commentariat.

My main practice group interests at this point are FCPA, government/internal investigations, antitrust, data privacy, and possibly some trade/sanctions, so I'm looking for something with some lit/reg overlap. Flexibility in terms of working with different practice groups, teams of attorneys, etc., is important to me, and that's something I find attractive (if a little intimidating) about Gibson's free-market system. I want my practice to have a strong international component, so the chance to work with foreign offices and clients is appealing to me. I ultimately see myself going into government, so the quality and diversity of exit options, particularly in the DC market, is also a priority. I've really enjoyed the people I've talked to at both places so far, so I see that largely as a wash at this point in time.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated (either if you have a preference for one or the other, or if you have advice on how to further narrow things down), please let me know if there is more information I can provide about my interests!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: DC: Gibson Dunn vs. Paul Hastings

Post by TLSModBot » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:53 pm

Cleary or DPW are fantastic options in general (although... DPW in DC? Do they even have a summer program in DC?). I'd personally go with Cleary: one of the best antitrust practices, and a friend of mine who was there reported its white collar is top notch as well.

Gibson is also a top name in litigation and could serve you well for eventually going to the gov (but I don't know which between Gibson or Cleary would be better honestly).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:00 pm

Hi Capitol and thanks for your feedback (OP here). Cleary was a place I identified fairly early on as a firm of interest, but my research seems to indicate that while Cleary is awesome for antitrust and very good in securities regulation/enforcement in DC, white-collar/FCPA/investigations work seems to be much more NY-focused, so it's kind of a step down for me.

As for DPW, I really enjoyed my visit there and it's a pretty interesting/exciting opportunity in DC. Their DC office was pretty much dead in the water as of 5 years ago and they're just starting to build it back up. They're up to about 35 attorneys now and planning to double in the next 5 years, with a focus on FCPA/investigations/antitrust/some trade. They recently made some pretty big lateral hires (including a former FTC Chairman and former US Atty for EDVA) and are hiring for their first summer class in DC since they brought the office back from the dead. That said, while there's a certain appeal to getting into a "start-up" office on the ground floor, I feel like I'd benefit more from being at a more established, larger office at this stage in my career, I'm just not sure I'm entrepreneurial enough for that sort of environment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:02 pm

I know lots of people at both firms. You should not consider Paul Hastings for even a minute. This is a no-brainer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:08 pm

There is no reason you should go to PH. Depending on how strongly you care about having an "international" practice and/or doing antitrust, Cleary might be a good choice. I also think DPW could be a good fit if you really love the people and practice areas. I summered at a relatively new office (less than 3 years old and 30 lawyers at the time), loved it for precisely the reasons you identified, and am still loving being a junior associate there. I get that you don't feel "entrepreneurial" enough for it, but I think you'll find it's easier than it sounds (and it pays to learn how to be entrepreneurial - you just can't succeed in law without being at least a bit entrepreneurial).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:13 pm

Gibson by several miles here.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know lots of people at both firms. You should not consider Paul Hastings for even a minute. This is a no-brainer.
This. It doesn't matter what interests you. Categorically, GDC >>> Paul Hastings.

EDIT: If you were really serious about antitrust, Cleary is the obvious choice. But GDC has a good antitrust practice and you won't be out of the antitrust game by going there. And you'll have everything else GDC does.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:42 pm

PH made some great acquisitions for FCPA and white collar investigations and that group is growing leaps and bounds. But GD is still better.

PH DC actually laid off a bunch of antitrust midlevels during the past year after a lateral partner couldn't gin up the business she promised. But Antitrust is TTT work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”