Goodwin Procter SV or Cooley SV or Orrick SV Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Goodwin Procter SV or Cooley SV or Orrick SV

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:43 pm

Anyone have experience with any of these firms? Interest in corporate, specifically emerging companies/VC work.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Goodwin Procter SV or Cooley SV or Orrick SV

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:51 pm

I've worked at Orrick, and I'd probably say Cooley is the more dominant firm in the emerging companies space, whereas Orrick has the hotter patent lit practice at the moment. For most of the type of work you'd want to do in SV, I'd say Cooley over the other two, then Orrick, then Goodwin.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:57 pm

Orrick is the clear bottom of these two.

Goodwin and Cooley are both better in terms of corporate work. Cooley is a little cultish. Goodwin has some great attorneys. Cooley is stronger than GP at Lit in SV.

Hope that helps.

If you really have these choices, GO BACK and interview again for sell lunches. The vibes are different.

Also, don't be fooled, Orrick's corporate practice is tiny and they do weird crap like public finance and claim it's transactional. Ummm no.

Also, some of the WORST attorneys that were rejected from my old firm (WSGR) were snapped right up by Orrick. They'll take anyone. That means those people are not great bosses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Orrick is the clear bottom of these two.

Goodwin and Cooley are both better in terms of corporate work. Cooley is a little cultish. Goodwin has some great attorneys. Cooley is stronger than GP at Lit in SV.

Hope that helps.

If you really have these choices, GO BACK and interview again for sell lunches. The vibes are different.

Also, don't be fooled, Orrick's corporate practice is tiny and they do weird crap like public finance and claim it's transactional. Ummm no.

Also, some of the WORST attorneys that were rejected from my old firm (WSGR) were snapped right up by Orrick. They'll take anyone. That means those people are not great bosses.
Anon from above

This is probably all true; I only know from the patent litigation side, where you see different folks (MoFo, Quinn, Irell) on the other side of Orrick, less GP or Cooley. OP didn't specify or transactional or lit tho.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:25 am

Thanks all. I'm mainly interested in emerging companies/VC work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks all. I'm mainly interested in emerging companies/VC work.
Then Cooley for sure, IMO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks all. I'm mainly interested in emerging companies/VC work.
Then Cooley for sure, IMO.
how do you measure fit by the way? I noticed i really liked the people I met at the orrick callback, but i don't know how to weigh that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”