I have some CBs next week, but booked the flight yesterday. Will the host firm be pissed b/c of cost? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nekrowizard

Bronze

I have some CBs next week, but booked the flight yesterday. Will the host firm be pissed b/c of cost?

Post by Nekrowizard » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:46 pm

I wasn't just being a lazy asshole, to be fair--I was waiting to complete OCI and get all my CBs so that I could schedule them all in a row. I did an OK job on having a consolidated schedule, but obviously on such a short time frame and long flight, it was kind of expensive. They'll be splitting the costs with other firms. Can someone ease my paranoia?

Anonymous User

Re: I have some CBs next week, but booked the flight yesterday. Will the host firm be pissed b/c of cost?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:51 pm

I've done 3 callbacks so far this cycle with all 3 having flights/hotel booked by the firm for either the same day or next day. Shouldn't be an issue at all.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: I have some CBs next week, but booked the flight yesterday. Will the host firm be pissed b/c of cost?

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:52 pm

If you booked a flight through the firm travel agency and they approved the cost, no one at the firm outside the non-lawyer recruiters will even know. There are set budgets for what a firm can spend on flights for a recruit. It doesn't sound like you exceeded them if you were able to book your flight.

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post by Nekrowizard » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:55 pm

jbagelboy wrote:If you booked a flight through the firm travel agency and they approved the cost, no one at the firm outside the non-lawyer recruiters will even know. There are set budgets for what a firm can spend on flights for a recruit. It doesn't sound like you exceeded them if you were able to book your flight.
Oh, good. I figured it was something like this. Horrible fear had just set in for whatever reason. Thanks guys.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:13 pm

no it's not an issue. no one cares.

people start caring if you do entitled bullshit like try to get reimbursed for business class or get a mercedes limo or upgrade to a suite and expect the firm to pay for it. but shit like getting to your city to do an interview... no one cares.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xael

Platinum

Post by xael » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:04 pm

tagging on to this...

1. there are budgets? is this like an actual thing, or is the budget like, $10,000?

2. also, if I miss a flight because a firm wanted to save money and put me on one two hours after a CB ends they pay for that, right?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:18 pm

I go a CB on a Tuesday, asked if I could do it that Thursday, economy flights were booked, so firm booked me first class without even asking. It was like $1700. It doesn't matter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:44 pm

In a vacuum, they wouldn't give much of a fuck, if any. Since you brought in other firms to split the cost, they definitely will not care.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:57 pm

xael wrote:tagging on to this...

1. there are budgets? is this like an actual thing, or is the budget like, $10,000?

2. also, if I miss a flight because a firm wanted to save money and put me on one two hours after a CB ends they pay for that, right?
see old gregg's post

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xael

Platinum

Post by xael » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:02 pm

Given that then I really don't understand why firms don't spring for refundable tickets or at least changeable ones.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:04 pm

think about the cost of your transportation vs the hours lost by attorneys interviewing you. which number is substantially larger?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:06 pm

Posted this in another topic, but this one seems on point as well. I'm scheduled to fly out to another city for a CB in 12 days. However, I have received offers that I would take over this CB. The trip has already been booked and paid for by the firm. Is canceling inappropriate, rude, or costly to the firm? Didn't mean to cause this trouble...

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:15 pm

xael wrote:Given that then I really don't understand why firms don't spring for refundable tickets or at least changeable ones.
they do for regular attorneys.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Posted this in another topic, but this one seems on point as well. I'm scheduled to fly out to another city for a CB in 12 days. However, I have received offers that I would take over this CB. The trip has already been booked and paid for by the firm. Is canceling inappropriate, rude, or costly to the firm? Didn't mean to cause this trouble...
no one cares. ur fine if u cancel.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:19 am

"Anonymous User wrote:
Posted this in another topic, but this one seems on point as well. I'm scheduled to fly out to another city for a CB in 12 days. However, I have received offers that I would take over this CB. The trip has already been booked and paid for by the firm. Is canceling inappropriate, rude, or costly to the firm? Didn't mean to cause this trouble...

no one cares. ur fine if u cancel."

Does this still apply when there's hardly any time before the flight? Got an offer late Friday; supposed to fly to a far-off locale Tuesday afternoon, but I can't really cancel my trip until peeps come into work tomorrow morning (barely 24 hours notice). Firms generally don't care?

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:"Anonymous User wrote:

no one cares. ur fine if u cancel."

Does this still apply when there's hardly any time before the flight? Got an offer late Friday; supposed to fly to a far-off locale Tuesday afternoon, but I can't really cancel my trip until peeps come into work tomorrow morning (barely 24 hours notice). Firms generally don't care?
You're saving more in attorney time than you're costing for a flight. If you're not going to accept an offer and you know that going in, just cancel.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”