Is Sullivan & Cromwell really that bad? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
monsterman

Bronze

Re: Is Sullivan & Cromwell really that bad?

Post by monsterman » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:11 pm

Cogburn87 wrote:
monsterman wrote: No I think there is some weight to that. I'm not saying screamers, but an aggressive, demanding person who is unambiguous about what they want and where you stand is much more preferable to me than the passive aggressive person.
It's profoundly stupid because it's a false choice. Believe it or not, you can find employment where you are treated like a human being. If your response to stories about S&C's culture is "But all jobs are humiliating! Just look at Amazon, hurr duuurrrr!" you're objectively an idiot.
I've never worked in biglaw, and the environment described at S&C sounds pretty shitty--not saying its not humiliating there. In an objective sense I'm saying I would prefer the aggressive over the passive aggressive, given the choice. Actually you seem like kind of an aggressive guy, I think I like you.

soj

Platinum

Removed

Post by soj » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:14 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:28 am

soj wrote: the fast pace of NYC practice (with particularly demanding clients in the financial sector), office politics at every level, and identity politics (and insufficient sensitivity to it, even for 2006). .
I think the point that people should take away from this thread is that the bolded matter a lot more, for any firm, than their specific "culture." No matter what they say or tell you, at any of these NY megafirms (included less well regarded firms outside the S+C/Cravath/DPW tier), there are going to be screamers and crappy people. That's because no partners are going to tell a rainmaking partner to cut out the bullshit just to protect some associates most of whom won't be there long enough for people to remember their name, and there are enough associates willing to take the abuse and not quit to staff that person's matters.

In other words there may be slight differences between firms, but it's going to be at the margins.

Byakuya769

New

Post by Byakuya769 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:18 am

Once on a preschool field trip a former S&C associate overheard that I was about to start in big law. They made it a point to then talk my ear off about how much I was going to hate it, how I was going to be screamed at, barely see my family and how most of my class would be gone within 18 months.

One year in (at a different firm), and life is pretty good. Never been yelled at, take off when I need to, leave at six 9 days out of ten (sign back on and do a bit of work after dinner). And we've only lost like 6% of our class to other cities for family related reasons...

Either S&C is a different beast or I'm extremely lucky....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:33 am

I'm a former S&C associate who worked with the partner mentioned in the charney article and although I haven't worked at other biglaw firms, I don't think S&C is worse than other firms. They are all terrible for reasons that firms can't change. And that partner was actually fine to work with (I'm not particularly thick skinned either).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a former S&C associate who worked with the partner mentioned in the charney article and although I haven't worked at other biglaw firms, I don't think S&C is worse than other firms. They are all terrible for reasons that firms can't change. And that partner was actually fine to work with (I'm not particularly thick skinned either).
which one? there are a number of partners mentioned.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:45 am

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a former S&C associate who worked with the partner mentioned in the charney article and although I haven't worked at other biglaw firms, I don't think S&C is worse than other firms. They are all terrible for reasons that firms can't change. And that partner was actually fine to work with (I'm not particularly thick skinned either).
I'm assuming he means eric Krautheimer. Who is, after all, a "nice guy"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:59 am

jbagelboy wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
I'm assuming he means eric Krautheimer. Who is, after all, a "nice guy"
Yes, that's who I was referring to.

igo2northwestern

Bronze

Post by igo2northwestern » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I think the point that people should take away from this thread is that the bolded matter a lot more, for any firm, than their specific "culture." No matter what they say or tell you, at any of these NY megafirms (included less well regarded firms outside the S+C/Cravath/DPW tier), there are going to be screamers and crappy people.

In other words there may be slight differences between firms, but it's going to be at the margins.
Mm I'm gonna disagree...there are definitely spots where that kind of negative culture is more prevalent. Yes, I think there's some disagreement on what levels of screaming or crazy demands take place, as some S&C attorneys have voiced their positive personal accounts/treatments. But I think the take away here is that there is a decent likelihood that a first year would have these sorts of experiences at S&C. It's no doubt partner/practice group specific, but that said we're just back to the question of frequency of occurrence at the firm right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:12 pm

While shades of the above is certainly true I think S&C gets unfairly criticized to the point where people have come to genuinely believe that life as a first year M&A associate at Skadden NYC is so. much. better. than life as an S&C associate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:27 pm

FWIW, at any firm in the city, it is a giant no-no to shtup people you work with, particularly anyone in your chain of supervision. Not that it doesn't happen, but if a firm suspects there is a relationship they will immediately look into it and if true, they will go ballistic. It's one of the few no-questions-asked fireable offenses. This applies to any sort of sexual relationship - gay, straight, whatever.

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post by Nekrowizard » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, at any firm in the city, it is a giant no-no to shtup people you work with, particularly anyone in your chain of supervision. Not that it doesn't happen, but if a firm suspects there is a relationship they will immediately look into it and if true, they will go ballistic. It's one of the few no-questions-asked fireable offenses. This applies to any sort of sexual relationship - gay, straight, whatever.
Yeah, that part didn't sound legit in the least. I find it hard to feel bad for the guy, to be honest. I don't think he came off looking very good in the article. I wonder what he's doing now, but I've never been able to locate a LinkedIn or anything.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:13 pm

yeah he came off like a complete psycho

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:46 pm

This is the anon former S&C associate from above, posting again now that I have some time. It's weird to defend S&C after the years I spent complaining about it, but I really don't think S&C's culture tolerates screamers any more than other firms the way this thread claims. As others said, your experience is going to be determined by the individuals you work with - it's pretty useless to paint a whole firm as having a certain personality trait. If you're considering S&C, think about the specific partners you'll work with (the associates you met will be gone by the time you get there), the work you'll do, and exit opportunities compared to other firms. I wouldn't base this decision on whether a firm has a reputation for being friendly because that's pretty meaningless and at the end of the day all big firms are basically the same anyway.

NYU2017abcdefg

New

Post by NYU2017abcdefg » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:53 pm

It's not worse than other elite NY law firms. It has a GREAT reputation amongst other practitioners which is valuable currency. Certain firms like Davis Polk and Kirkland do not have that reputation. People talk so much shit about DPW lawyers. NOt sure why but may have to do with their pretentiousness...

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:59 pm

NYU2017abcdefg wrote:It's not worse than other elite NY law firms. It has a GREAT reputation amongst other practitioners which is valuable currency. Certain firms like Davis Polk and Kirkland do not have that reputation. People talk so much shit about DPW lawyers. NOt sure why but may have to do with their pretentiousness...
bizarre necro w/ an axe to grind

good lawyers at all of those firms, tho actually agree DPW folks can be pretentious

but also lol @ any of these firms being very sustainable for anyone who isn't broken

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:58 pm

NYU2017abcdefg wrote:It's not worse than other elite NY law firms. It has a GREAT reputation amongst other practitioners which is valuable currency. Certain firms like Davis Polk and Kirkland do not have that reputation. People talk so much shit about DPW lawyers. NOt sure why but may have to do with their pretentiousness...
lolwut?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:30 pm

Lol sounds like someone got rejected by DPW. Also lol @ a 3L acting like s/he has a finger on the pulse of of two firms' reputations in the legal market.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:12 pm

smaug wrote:

good lawyers at all of those firms, tho actually agree DPW folks can be pretentious

but also lol @ any of these firms being very sustainable for anyone who isn't broken
How many firms ARE sustainable for nonbroken people

O'Melveny?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:28 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:
Lol sounds like someone got rejected by DPW. Also lol @ a 3L acting like s/he has a finger on the pulse of of two firms' reputations in the legal market.
He's got his ears to the ground, that's why!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:32 pm

This is a laughably absurd statement

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:01 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:
smaug wrote:

How many firms ARE sustainable for nonbroken people

O'Melveny?
I'm not sure O'Melveny even fits that but yeah good point

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:23 am

As everyone else has already said, this is a pretty weird troll move. That said, law students choosing firms do need to be careful re: the DPW echo chamber on TLS. There's a strong cohort of TLSers at that firm and it leads to a lot of propaganda here. Can confirm that multiple posters above work for/have summered at DPW.

New

Post by 78623089 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:31 am

Capitol_Idea wrote: How many firms ARE sustainable for nonbroken people

O'Melveny?
more interested in this statement than the dithering about SC v. DPW. Care to elaborate?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:15 pm

78623089 wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote: How many firms ARE sustainable for nonbroken people

O'Melveny?
more interested in this statement than the dithering about SC v. DPW. Care to elaborate?
The pace of work is hard to sustain long-term unless you're willing to sacrifice your time to nothing else but work. Most people aren't able to and don't want to. Broken people are not phased by the trivialities of life's possible experiences, therefore they're able to sustain the workload.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”