do other law firms respect class year bumps? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

do other law firms respect class year bumps?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:08 pm

I'm a 2nd year at a v10 in NYC and was going to leave to head to a different market come January. I expressed this to some of the partners and they told me they'd bump me to a 4th year if I stayed. My question is assuming I take the bump to 4th year and finish it off and then leave the following January and move to a different market, would they treat me as a 5th year generally?

Trying to gauge whether this even makes sense to stay.

Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: do other law firms respect class year bumps?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:01 pm

How do i do this? I have been thinking of leaving, but getting that bump early could make me stay. Was this just a casual discussion?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:10 pm

Don't think it's that common - but combo of being well-liked by partners + practice needing people. I just told them and they offered it. Historically happened a few times before so knew it was option but didn't expect it.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 2nd year at a v10 in NYC and was going to leave to head to a different market come January. I expressed this to some of the partners and they told me they'd bump me to a 4th year if I stayed. My question is assuming I take the bump to 4th year and finish it off and then leave the following January and move to a different market, would they treat me as a 5th year generally?

Trying to gauge whether this even makes sense to stay.

Thanks
Class-year status is usually negotiable. Some firms are more flexible than others. In general, though, firms aren't going to care that your current firm bumped you up a year. You can (and should) bring up the bump in negotiations, but it's not some automatic trump card. If the firm really needs laterals and really likes you, then it's certainly on the table.

I know you're looking for a cleaner answer than "it depends on the firm and how desirable of a lateral candidate you are," but that's the truth.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:32 pm

I knew a guy who several years ago transferred from a mid-size market to NYC as a fourth year and got offers at 3 V10s. One offered him a job as a second year, one offered him a job as third year, and one offered him a job as a fourth year. He took the third one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”