Addressing lack of experience in lateral interview Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Addressing lack of experience in lateral interview

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:16 pm

I got an interview for an in-house position (been practicing in a firm for several years). I have experience in a number of the listed job requirements except for one major one: several years of tech trans experience. If I compiled all my tech trans experience, it would add up to under a year.

Shaking the TLS knowledge tree here - any tips on how to address this during the interview? I figured I would say something about how I'm a quick learner, this is the kind of work I want to move more into, and I have negotiated agreements in other practice areas. Is that enough?

kcdc1

Silver

Re: Addressing lack of experience in lateral interview

Post by kcdc1 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Been practicing in a firm for several years . . . If I compiled all my tech trans experience, it would add up to under a year.
Law student here, so take with grain of salt, but why doesn't the following work?

During my N years of firm experience, I had significant exposure to technology transactions. For example, [anecdote].

If pressed, acknowledge that your work focused primarily in XYZ, but the skills developed in XYZ are also highly relevant to tech trans. For example, [anecdote]. These skills, combined with my direct experience in tech trans will allow me to hit the ground running.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:41 pm

kcdc1 wrote:Law student here, so take with grain of salt, but why doesn't the following work?

During my N years of firm experience, I had significant exposure to technology transactions. For example, [anecdote].

If pressed, acknowledge that your work focused primarily in XYZ, but the skills developed in XYZ are also highly relevant to tech trans. For example, [anecdote]. These skills, combined with my direct experience in tech trans will allow me to hit the ground running.
OP here. That's an interesting way to frame my current experience - thanks for the suggestion.

I'm wondering whether it's better to acknowledge my lack and experience right away and launch into my counterargument, or wait for the interviewer to bring it up (i.e. pretend it's not an issue until they make it one).

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:54 pm

I would imagine that the employer is looking to hire a person who has skills that match their needs -- not a resume that checks the boxes in their position listing. Do you have the skills the employer is looking for? Tell them so, and support your representations with evidence. No need to bring up minor deviations between their position listing and your resume unless the interviewer indicates that those deviations are relevant to your candidacy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”