Harris Wiltshire Grannis Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Harris Wiltshire Grannis

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:49 pm

Anyone have any info on this firm? The standard pubs are sparse, as is this board. Recruiter seems to think it's the bee's knees, but they always seem to rosy.

Anonymous User

Re: Harris Wiltshire Grannis

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:54 pm

Telecom boutique, as you probably already know. They do great work and have a lot of former FCC in the ranks, and from my understanding put a lot back in. Personally I think they are the bee's knees, but I'm speaking as someone who did a CB there in a past cycle and didn't get an offer. I got the sense that they are one of the 2-3 places you want to be if you live and breath telecom work - then again, if you do, you probably already know about them. Did not get the sense that they'd try to expand to other practice areas, but maybe that's changed more recently.

Full caveat that I haven't worked there. Given the size of the firm I'd be surprised if any associates are on this board.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:27 pm

Thanks for the reply. This would be a lateral opportunity from a different field of law altogether (regulatory law of another heavily regulated industry).

Any idea what kind of exit opps there are from HWG? Any idea re partnership prospects? Hours?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:05 am

Have a screener with them coming up and also wondering if salary is market?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:58 am

Salary is 115k base plus quarterly bonuses for all years. Bonuses are some form of profit sharing. It's on their website.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:15 am

Your reply was kinder than it needed to be considering I hadnt done any checking myself haha, so thanks for that. Chambers and associates has some pretty good info. Seems like overall compensation is above market with the bonuses

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:07 pm

I think all-in cash comp was 167500 for first years last year (115 base plus quarterly bonuses). That would be at market. The website says that quarterly bonuses could be 25K or more for senior associates, which would be well below market and indicative of a small spread. But if that's what they advertise, perhaps it's generally lower. Though for a 1500 hour billable expectation, totally worth it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:44 am

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:12 pm

Bill Wiltshire came to interview at UVA, and definitely seemed like a good dude. Doubt I'll get a CB, but was a nice interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:45 pm

^^^

What sorts of things did he highlight about the firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^^^

What sorts of things did he highlight about the firm?
About the firm: Lots of big opportunity right off the bat, emphasis is telecom (obviously), but this covers a lot of ground and they are doing more litigation recently. Associates do everything and are not in one thing or the other. Also spent some time talking about how because all of the founding members went private -> FCC -> founding their firm, they definitely understand and support employees who seek to transition into government. He said that some come back, some don't, but maintain a good relationship with the firm which works out well for them anyway. Seemed 100% on board with that revolving door mentality.

We also talked quite a bit about the importance of writing and developing a good sense of how to write. This seemed very important, much more so than the average interview, but ymmv.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:30 pm

^^

anything about partnership prospects?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:37 pm

Partnership track is currently 7 years from law school graduation. A decent number of associates transition to government or in-house positions before they hit 7 years of legal experience (it is basically unheard of for HWG associates to lateral to another firm in the DC market, which speaks very well of the firm). But, for associates who stay, the expectation is that they will be made partner. There is currently no "of counsel" option for associates after 7 years; it's partnership (the overwhelming majority of the time) or the firm helping associates transfer to an in-house or government position elsewhere (in very rare cases).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”