Helping family & friends as an attorney Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Helping family & friends as an attorney

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:05 pm

Random and probably dumb inquiry, but one worth asking since I've never had clarification on the question. All of us have family/friends who will call on us as lawyers (future for me, 2L here) for any and all type of dilemma, expecting a thorough run down of every possible outcome. My questions are, (1) do those working big law to mid law ever have the time to do these "favors" for family and friends? (Speaking generally, I'm sure it fluctuates with busy and non-busy periods); (2) do those working in big law to mid law have the flexibility to do things of this nature without risking their jobs (or any other repercussion I'm not educated on) ?

All money/billing aside just curious if I can look forward to being the lawyer in the family who also the di*k whose always too busy to look out for my peeps. Appreciate any input

Anonymous User

Re: Helping family & friends as an attorney

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:21 pm

I'm an ADA but I've more or less refused to help my family and friends with legal stuff. I offer very general advice about what the process should look like and how it should turn it out and what they can expect, but it always stops there. Aside from really simple shit like filling out an incorporation form for someone or doing a quick will it's more or less always a huge time suck that may drag on for months. And then they get pissed at you if they don't get the results they want. The "quick question" they want is almost always the precursor to them wanting full blown representation for free. A lot of them also don't understand how specialized the law is. I can try the fuck out of a criminal case, but I'm more or less useless in a tenant land-lord dispute.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: Helping family & friends as an attorney

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:02 pm

Yup almost invariably a terrible idea. When you work at a big firm you get constant mass emails from other lawyers asking for recommendations for divorce, personal injury, etc. attorneys for their friends or family. That's because they know better than to do it themselves.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”