Long term health of K & L Gates? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
First Offense

Platinum

Long term health of K & L Gates?

Post by First Offense » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:00 pm

http://abovethelaw.com/2015/07/barbaria ... -kl-gates/

Losing a lot of partners and revenue drying up. While this isn't quite Dewey, it seems like there is serious trouble. Any current associates with insights?

Anonymous User

Re: Long term health of K & L Gates?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:38 pm

We have meetings every month about the financial health of the firm, and I am optimistic. Our revenue has actually been up over the last few months, and we're on track to have a record year. Utilization in our office has been great through the summer -- something that's usually hard because of the beautiful weather, the summer associates, and the vacation days. I've heard nothing about "reducing printing" and I print A LOT.

I've been crazy busy over the last few months. Like can't-breathe-busy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:08 pm

I am a summer there. The office is ridiculously busy--every department. All of the 1st years start dates got moved up because of how busy the office is.

I think the firm's problem has to do with how quickly it expanded worldwide. That kind of growth should be more drawn out and carefully considered.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:30 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am a summer there. The office is ridiculously busy--every department. All of the 1st years start dates got moved up because of how busy the office is.

I think the firm's problem has to do with how quickly it expanded worldwide. That kind of growth should be more drawn out and carefully considered.
moved up from what? I know class of 2013 didn't start until Jan 2014
I think that January has been the firmwide starting month for quite a while. Most of the incoming first years at my office will be starting in September.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am a summer there. The office is ridiculously busy--every department. All of the 1st years start dates got moved up because of how busy the office is.

What office? the ATL article said that NY is dead. That is what I have heard through the grapevine too.

Don't mistake your SA experience for the real thing....

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:49 am

the real thing, which you know through

Above the Law and...the grapevine.

interesting.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:09 pm

jd20132013 wrote:the real thing, which you know through

Above the Law and...the grapevine.

interesting.
Tbf they source from law360.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:45 pm

I'm curious why people here report the firm being so busy while the ATL article says NY associates are averaging 1100 hours? Is it an issue of work being very unevenly distributed among different offices? I guess it would make sense that they would be doing well in Seattle/Pittsburgh or other places where they are a top dog, and less well in NY.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

buddhabelly

New

Post by buddhabelly » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:48 pm

I have a biglaw partner who has been mentoring me through the law school and recruiting process. He told me to steer clear of K&L.

cdelgado

Bronze

Post by cdelgado » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:14 am

I've posted about K&L Pittsburgh for over a year now. My suggestion--at least for that office--is to be careful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:18 am

I would not, WOULD NOT suggest anyone summering there. Even at their largest/larger offices, you get the vibe from the very first day of work that only 3/4 or 5/6 will be getting offers based on what my friends have told me (and witnessing the summer class interact with each other as a whole). I got the sense that they were always competing/on edge and, at the end of the summer, no one knew whether they were on the chopping block or not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:I would not, WOULD NOT suggest anyone summering there. Even at their largest/larger offices, you get the vibe from the very first day of work that only 3/4 or 5/6 will be getting offers based on what my friends have told me (and witnessing the summer class interact with each other as a whole). I got the sense that they were always competing/on edge and, at the end of the summer, no one knew whether they were on the chopping block or not.
FWIW, I've had the complete opposite experience so far this summer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:59 pm

definitely a risky place. some data points of people being busy and an office moving up start dates from january to september doesnt really seem like a compelling argument given the facts. 800k profits per partner and flat growth the last couple of years in a booming economy is pretty damning.

DJ JD

Bronze

Post by DJ JD » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:52 pm

Last edited by DJ JD on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:01 pm

cdelgado wrote:I've posted about K&L Pittsburgh for over a year now. My suggestion--at least for that office--is to be careful.
Uh, isn't K&L Gates's main office in Pittsburgh?

That would definitely seem troubling for the firm as a whole if that office was in trouble

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:33 am

They also are not a 100% offer firm. I know two recent grads that go no-offered from there last year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:04 am

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:06 pm

Anyone want to chime in on the Dallas office?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:24 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I'm curious why people here report the firm being so busy while the ATL article says NY associates are averaging 1100 hours? Is it an issue of work being very unevenly distributed among different offices? I guess it would make sense that they would be doing well in Seattle/Pittsburgh or other places where they are a top dog, and less well in NY.
I don't know, but ATL definitely got the "reducing printing/didn't pay Xerox" thing wrong, so I would take them with a spoonful of salt. Maybe there are people in NY that are struggling to make hours, but I haven't met them or talked to them. Everyone I know is busy, and there have been a lot of cross-office assignments where "all hands on deck; bring outside people in" are needed. Frankly, I don't see how anyone's utilization could be less than 80% so long as they're reaching out for work and generally making an effort. This could be office dependent, but I know a few people in other offices and it doesn't seem to be.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:06 am

http://abovethelaw.com/2015/07/deja-vu- ... at-law360/

Anyone got info on the Boston office?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

anonymous5491

New

Post by anonymous5491 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:41 am

Last edited by anonymous5491 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:48 am

For some of us who have interviews with the firm (and just need to pick up an offer), what would those who summered at K&L or are working there say about the positive aspects and why you chose the firm? It seems like there is a lot of negative press to get over, and nevertheless, there needs to be something if the interviewer asks "why here?" It's tough figuring it out why.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:52 am

anonymous5491 wrote:I just finished my summer with K&L in the Pittsburgh office. Several folks (out of 15) received no-offers even though they had largely favorable reviews. All of them are shocked.

If you have other options, I'd think strongly about exercising them. Put simply, there are too many question marks with KLG at this point. The revolving door is real.
That's super disconcerting.

Also, the directly above anon's question is something I was wondering too.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:For some of us who have interviews with the firm (and just need to pick up an offer), what would those who summered at K&L or are working there say about the positive aspects and why you chose the firm? It seems like there is a lot of negative press to get over, and nevertheless, there needs to be something if the interviewer asks "why here?" It's tough figuring it out why.
This is dumb. Why pick up an offer that might not be there. Hustle for something else.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”