Dinged by Firm - Apply again with different practice area? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Dinged by Firm - Apply again with different practice area?

Post by OutoftheWoods » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:29 pm

Rising 3L preparing to start mass-mailing soon. I was dinged by a V20 satellite office (not sure if this matters) last season at the CB stage for an SA in a certain practice group. Turns out my practice group interests have changed and I want to apply again. I'm not exactly sure why I got dinged (competing for one spot, and I go to a T20 in a different location, so I can guess that played some of a role), but the recruiter sent me the nicest rejection letter I have ever seen (definitely not a generic email - "you're gonna be an amazing lawyer", etc.), so I'd like to think they didnt completely hate me.

With that somewhat different background in mind, I have some questions and was wondering if anyone had any input:

1) Should I still apply to the same group I had CB'd for, or take a risk that they're hiring in this new one? (previous was finance, now it's litigation). This firm seemed to be growing in finance, but the litigation dept is over twice as large.

2) Do I talk to the recruiter like I actually CB'd there before (i.e. hope you are doing well) or completely ignore that fact? as i said, she seemed to like me so I'm not sure if the normal "don't say anything" applies (especially bc i may be applying for a different practice group).

Thanks in advance!! :)

Platinum

Re: Dinged by Firm - Apply again with different practice area?

Post by 2014 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:53 am

Acknowledge you CBed there, them knowing who you are is better than getting a fresh CB from a pile of 1000 people. They will probably figure it out anyway. I imagine it's no problem to interview for a different practice area but I'd acknowledge it in the same sentence where you acknowledge you CBed there last year. Something like "While I had a callback last year for finance, after my experience this summer doing blahblahblah I am now more interested in litigation for the following reasons".

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Re: Dinged by Firm - Apply again with different practice area?

Post by OutoftheWoods » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:52 am

Thanks! Yeah, at worst they didn't like me so it doesnt matter. but if they did and i sent them a generic email, I could see them getting VERY offended. lol.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”