Unhappy With Practice Group - Switching? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Unhappy With Practice Group - Switching?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:34 pm

I work in litigation, and when hired, was pocketed into a particular practice group at my firm. I enjoy litigating very much, but my group does not go to trial often, the cases are on the small side, they don't require much thinking or new learning, and each one is the same. Whether it's for these reasons or otherwise, the area of the law that we practice in does not excite me.

I recently had the opportunity to work with another litigation group in a different area of the law because they were short-staffed and had to "borrow" from another. I absolutely loved it. They go to trial at least once a year on very large, complex cases. Throughout the time I was working with them, work did not feel like work. I definitely found my area of interest, and where I want my career to go.

On a personal level, I also enjoyed working with the personalities of this other practice group much, much more than my own. (One particularly demeaning junior partner within "my" group makes life somewhat hellish. Survivable, but a constant beat-down.)

I can't work within my current group much longer, especially after experiencing work with the other group and noticing how exciting it was, and how good it felt. I'm afraid I may actually be bordering on depression, given the thought of having to work in this area and with this group for years upon years. I begin to feel lethargic, and lose motivation to work (but I truck through it - am not trying to get myself fired here). I do my best to cover it up while at the office.

Is there any way to approach asking someone whether I can change groups? I don't know that I'm "important" enough to the firm for them to move me just because I ask, but maybe if I can present a mutual benefit?

Before approaching, do I need to shop around and make sure I have an exit strategy, if it causes political or other issues for me within the firm?

Has anyone else been through this, and successfully navigated it?

Return to “Legal Employment”