Law Review Worth It? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

New

Law Review Worth It?

Post by 2008 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:45 am

Hi,

I recently was invited to join Law Review. However, I am not 100% sure I want to do it. My #1 career goal is to become a Deputy DA. I also have very small aspirations to become an AUSA, but I highly highly doubt I wanna be an AUSA.

Thank you!

lukertin

Silver

Re: Law Review Worth It?

Post by lukertin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:38 am

I don't think anybody gave a shit. Tho I wasn't applying to DA-type positions so I can't comment on how it might affect you.

PMan99

Bronze

Post by PMan99 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:16 am

The first HYS kid in 50 years trying to be DA of Podunk County, Mississippi is different than NYLS student trying to be DA of New York County. My gut reaction is do it.

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:42 am

It most likely depends on what office you want to work in. I think the more valuable endeavors would be interning, mock trial, and moot court, in that order, and then cover all the crim/trial ad classes. But you can do all of that and still have time for law review.

Some lawyers really like other people that have been through law review, so it can be an in with those people. Not sure that really makes it "worth it."

Law review improved my writing, but its effect on your writing will depend on your background.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:46 am

It's the best law school credential you can get besides top grades. Definitely worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bjohnsobf

New

Post by bjohnsobf » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:47 am

Hi Joe I'm Bob I'll be interviewing you today. I see you have impressive 1L grades why didn't you do law review? I did law review. Am I a dumbass?
Most explanations make you sound lazy. For prosecutor you should do LR and mock trial, doing one or the other also sounds lazy. One rational explanation could be school doesn't allow both if that's the case.

I know that after 1L year your a master of the profession but there's a chance over the next 40 years you might want to do something other than prosecute. Firms care. I see law review cites on lawyer profiles in their 50s 60s.

just do it.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:49 am

The only hard parts of LR, like law school, is getting in and putting up with the company.

Just join and do the bare minimum, no reason to close a door you don't have to.

New

Post by 2008 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:10 pm

Thank you guys for your responses. I am probably going to do it now. I was just worried that LR may take up time for the other extracurriculars (interning at the office, mock trial, moot court), which I will all be doing. Mainly because I have no idea how much time LR will take. Anyone here know around how much time it would take?

Thanks!

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:59 pm

2008 wrote:Thank you guys for your responses. I am probably going to do it now. I was just worried that LR may take up time for the other extracurriculars (interning at the office, mock trial, moot court), which I will all be doing. Mainly because I have no idea how much time LR will take. Anyone here know around how much time it would take?

Thanks!
It can take up a lot of time depending on how many ppl are on LR, but just do the minimum. Don't put a lot of effort into your note, get your citations done so you don't screw over other ppl, but that is really it. And make sure not to run for any editor positions. It is a great credential and worth having on your resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

New

Post by 2008 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:29 pm

Thank you. I was curious because all 3L positions are editor positions. Did you mean not do LR third year, or did you mean don't run for the executive positions?

michael2015

New

Post by michael2015 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:11 pm

i didn't do it 3L year.
Get it on your resume you did it. do the work. don't go above and beyond. don't go for e-board.

New

Post by 2008 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:02 pm

Thank you guys very much! I have decided to do it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”