Firm or Clerkship? Rejecting Firm Offer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firm or Clerkship? Rejecting Firm Offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:44 am

Would I be a total idiot to reject a job offer (even if I don't really like it)? Or regretful for turning down the opportunity to clerk?

I am a current summer associate at a midsize firm in a Northeast city. The firm only hired one summer associate with the expectation of offering a post-grad position. However, it is a couple of weeks in and I am unsure if it is a great fit. I have applied for clerkships and have heard back from some SSCs in the region and have interviews coming up.

Current associates told me that the firm was iffy about holding the offer for a clerkship when they were summer associates. If I am offered the position and the firm is non-committal about holding a spot for me if I pursue the clerkship route, what should I do?

minnbills

Gold

Re: Firm or Clerkship? Rejecting Firm Offer?

Post by minnbills » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:46 am

I would take a SSC over a firm, especially if you're not wild about the firm. But that's just me. A clerkship of that caliber can do great things for your career.

sandwhich

Bronze

Post by sandwhich » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:52 am

I've also heard of people getting new offers through their clerkships, but the liklihood of that happening certainly has to do with where you clerk. It's a tough choice to leave any secure job, but if you're not happy it may be worth the risk. Did you makegood grades? Are you competitive for a clerkship?

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:55 am

It sort of depends on your credentials and the firm but I would stick with the firm if it comes down to it. Post-clerkship hiring is pretty rough these days even for people with federal clerkships. I wouldn't count on being able to find something better out of it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:08 am

Thanks for the responses.

Fwiw I believe I have a good shot at a clerkship because I am top 2% of my class and on law review. However, my school is a low ranked school, but does well in the region because of it's large alumni base.

Post-clerkship, I don't have any unrealistic hopes of getting into BigLaw. To be frank, I am not quite sure if private practice is for me. I've interned for various governmental agencies and have enjoyed public sector work a lot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:43 am

Bump

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”