Switching firms after 2L SA? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Switching firms after 2L SA?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:20 am

After 2L OCI, I was fortunate to be able to choose between offers at a couple of firms in different geographic areas. I think I chose incorrectly, and think I would be much happier at one of the other firms. I'm looking for people who have experience with this type of buyer's remorse situation. I know it's possible to lateral from this firm if I do get an offer this summer, but I have no real idea how that process / market works.

Couple of questions:

Is it OK to get in touch with the other firms that offered me?
Will it do any good to tell them I'm interested in coming on board after I turned them down?
Does the fact I got an offer as a 2L help me at all?

Thanks.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Switching firms after 2L SA?

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:53 am

Yes, yes, and yes. If they're doing any hiring at all they'll be happy to talk to you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:46 am

I'm interested in this too..since I'm not sure the market I'm bidding for OCI is the right one for me. What factors other than your initial OCI factors go into this? 2L grades I imagine..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:14 pm

Exactly in this same boat. Thanks for the advice. If they aren't hiring right away, is there any way to broach the subject of a lateral hire down the line? Having some serious buyer's remorse here. Without going into specifies, the reasons why I chose the firm I did don't seem to be panning out like I thought they would.

When is the appropriate time to initiate conversation?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:55 pm

Shameless OP bump here. I'm also wondering about the timeline. Should I start reaching out now or wait until I know whether I have an offer from the firm I'm currently at?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Shameless OP bump here. I'm also wondering about the timeline. Should I start reaching out now or wait until I know whether I have an offer from the firm I'm currently at?
PM me

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:10 pm

When you are looking into this, do you send your resume on the first email. Or just send an email to the recruiter and let them know you are interested.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:27 pm

Another bump - really curious about the "when" and "how" of getting in touch with the firm that offered you as a 2L

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:37 am

I posted this thread last week about 3L applications. Most people in the thread are 2Ls who are currently working at a firm, and hoping to make a switch after the summer:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=250197

I hope that helps a bit!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”