Objective line on resume Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Objective line on resume

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:41 pm

I'm a rising 2L at UT and starting the process of bidding, and I've noticed a good number of firms don't have any spot for a cover letter. I have decent ties to Texas, but nothing listed on my resume except for law school, and I generally let my cover letter tell my story. For the firms with no slot for a cover letter, I was considering putting an "Objective" line on my resume and saying something simple, maybe one or two sentences, about securing employment in the state because of [my ties to Texas].

What I'm trying to avoid is being dinged outright by firms who think I have no connection to the state, and will bolt to my (secondary/tertiary) home market as soon as possible. An objective line on a resume is pretty outdated, but it's the only thing I can think of to stop the auto-ding when I can't upload a cover letter.

Thoughts?

TTTooKewl

New

Re: Objective line on resume

Post by TTTooKewl » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:11 pm

Is there a Texas address you can list at the top of your resume? And also include something about ties in your fun fact / bg info section at the bottom

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:16 pm

Interests: Living and working in Texas, the greatest state in the country that I never want to leave.

;)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:41 pm

I have a Texas address on the top of my resume, but so does every other out-of-state student without ties to the state. I have clubs and activities that I've done in Texas, but again, so does every schmoe, and I want to differentiate myself from the pack.

I also don't trust employers to read the bottom line of my resume and make the connection that I had ties to the state before law school. I want something that will immediately get noticed.

And if it wasn't already clear, for firms that allow a cover letter, I'd send a standard resume and let my cover letter explain my ties and such.

k5220

Bronze

Post by k5220 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:53 pm

I've seen people do this effectively in an additional information section (like "Born and raised in Los Angeles. Proficient in Spanish. Etc. etc."). You could probably fit in a small narrative if you wanted to about why you like TX and want to return. Having "Permanent Address: XYZ" and "Current Address: ABC" at the top also works.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”