Government Honors Programs - other than DOJ (2015-2016 Cycle) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Government Honors Programs - other than DOJ (2015-2016 Cycle)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:32 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:There are some 2L honors programs called that (I want to say FTC/FCC maybe?).
right but that would still be a "summer honors program," not an honors program. and for payment purposes, its a pathways program.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:34 pm

All I meant was that people do refer to them as honors programs (and I rarely hear pathways).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:36 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:All I meant was that people do refer to them as honors programs (and I rarely hear pathways).

I'm sure you're an expert.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:All I meant was that people do refer to them as honors programs (and I rarely hear pathways).
As are you, undoubtedly.

Every year you get summer honors programs people who show up and post in the 3L program threads, so it doesn't seem to be entirely obvious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:52 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
As are you, undoubtedly.

Every year you get summer honors programs people who show up and post in the 3L program threads, so it doesn't seem to be entirely obvious.
pretty sure the word "summer" is what makes the difference pretty apparent. forums for 2L's are prefaced accordingly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eas09d

New

Post by eas09d » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:46 pm

Any HUD updates? The waiting is driving me crazy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:19 pm

eas09d wrote:Any HUD updates? The waiting is driving me crazy.
Two of my references were called by HUD about three weeks ago. Last week two more references let me know HUD contacted them by email with a reference form to fill out and return.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:35 pm

how about that NLRB timeline?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:13 pm

I emailed my regional interviewer who forwarded my message to HQ; an HR rep. at HQ said that the selection committee met on Dec. 11 to select candidates that they "highly recommended" a group of candidates to the GC. This list of recommended candidates has been sent to GC for review and selection. They don't have a specific notification date yet, but they said their goal is to have first round selections made before Christmas.

So basically, nothing we didn't already know in terms of time, but at least we know things are moving!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:44 pm

Did anyone get rejected from DOT? I just haven't heard anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I emailed my regional interviewer who forwarded my message to HQ; an HR rep. at HQ said that the selection committee met on Dec. 11 to select candidates that they "highly recommended" a group of candidates to the GC. This list of recommended candidates has been sent to GC for review and selection. They don't have a specific notification date yet, but they said their goal is to have first round selections made before Christmas.

So basically, nothing we didn't already know in terms of time, but at least we know things are moving!
I heard the same. Does anyone know if the names that go to the general counsel are just for approval? Or will the general counsel make further selections from the list of names/ applicants she receives from the selection committee?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I heard the same. Does anyone know if the names that go to the general counsel are just for approval? Or will the general counsel make further selections from the list of names/ applicants she receives from the selection committee?
This is the exact email I got:

"The Legal Honors Selection Committee met last week to review the applications. The highly recommended candidates were referred to the General Counsel for review and selection on Friday, December 11, 2015. [Candidate's] application was included in the pool of qualified applicants for review. At this time we do not have a specific date that selections will be made, however, the goal is to have the first-round of selections made before the Christmas holiday."

Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is the exact email I got:

"The Legal Honors Selection Committee met last week to review the applications. The highly recommended candidates were referred to the General Counsel for review and selection on Friday, December 11, 2015. [Candidate's] application was included in the pool of qualified applicants for review. At this time we do not have a specific date that selections will be made, however, the goal is to have the first-round of selections made before the Christmas holiday."

Thoughts?
Looks like GC selects from the list of"highly recommended" applicants. I wish I knew how many people make it to that stage or how many people they plan to hire this year. My interviewer said she had no idea how many people they planned to hire for this year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:15 pm

I wrote the hiring contact at FTC a week ago, and he won't even get back to me with a rejection. This whole process is so fucked up.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wrote the hiring contact at FTC a week ago, and he won't even get back to me with a rejection. This whole process is so fucked up.
Not to kill your mood even more, but if you're not hearing back, it is quite possible you won't at all. Some agencies didn't ever send me a rejection. Those that did were late-like this past August late.

Don't let it psyche you out though. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:24 pm

zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I wrote the hiring contact at FTC a week ago, and he won't even get back to me with a rejection. This whole process is so fucked up.
Not to kill your mood even more, but if you're not hearing back, it is quite possible you won't at all. Some agencies didn't ever send me a rejection. Those that did were late-like this past August late.

They rejected me today. Had a good first rounder for the copyright office though, so I'm hopeful.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
zot1 wrote:

They rejected me today. Had a good first rounder for the copyright office though, so I'm hopeful.
Hang in there. You just need one yes. I got many rejections, but those don't matter now. I wish you the same future. Keep grinding.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:34 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:There are some 2L honors programs called that (I want to say FTC/FCC maybe?).
can confirm that there is indeed a a GS-11 summer honors program for the FTC that is advertised to interviewees as coming with an offer for post-grad by default.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Offer by phone this morning from the FCC.

thepenismightier

New

Post by thepenismightier » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:12 pm

HUD Legal Honors offer for Headquarters this morning via phone call. Best of luck to those waiting to hear back!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:06 pm

thepenismightier wrote:HUD Legal Honors offer for Headquarters this morning via phone call. Best of luck to those waiting to hear back!
Congrats!! Did they happen to give any indication of their class size?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thepenismightier

New

Post by thepenismightier » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thepenismightier wrote:HUD Legal Honors offer for Headquarters this morning via phone call. Best of luck to those waiting to hear back!
Congrats!! Did they happen to give any indication of their class size?
Thanks! No--they gave no indication of class size.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:47 pm

Congrats to those getting good news today!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:50 pm

Congrats!! Hoping they aren't done making these calls...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:54 pm

DOL HP offer for SOL National Office this afternoon via phone. Good luck everyone!

For posterity:
8/16 - submitted app
9/18 - email to set up phone interview
9/25 - phone interview
11/24 - "under active consideration" email
12/14 - "under consideration for offer" email with request for references
12/17 - phone offer

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”