Getting honest answers from firm recruiters Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Sotomajoritarian

New

Getting honest answers from firm recruiters

Post by Sotomajoritarian » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:35 pm

Brief background: Rising 2L, top 10% at a small T30 law school. No idea about LR yet... hoping for the best. I went to an ivy UG, but got mediocre grades there (which may explain why I'm going to a T30 school now). I love my law school, but our OCS is terrifically bad. Few resources, very little guidance. There are a handful of biglaw firms doing OCI with us, but not too many.

However, given my grades and some other resume-boosters that I can boast, I'm tempted to apply for SAs at top firms. Then again, there's no way for me to know if top firms will even look at me, because OCS hasn't given us any info about which firms will recruit people from my school, and which generally won't.

Before I waste time applying to a top firm, what's the best way of finding out if that firm will even consider applicants from my school? I've thought about calling up recruiters and asking them flat-out, but won't they just give me an answer like "We consider applicants from all schools! :wink:" or "Send over your application, and we'll take a look! :wink:" ?

TL;DR -- I'm near the top of my class at a non-T14, but I'm scared of wasting my time applying to top firms that don't even consider non-T14s.

Platinum

Re: Getting honest answers from firm recruiters

Post by 071816 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:35 pm

I'm pretty sure "getting honest answers from firm recruiters" isn't a thing.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:38 pm

What is the harm in applying anyway? Doesn't potential opportunity outweigh the potential waste of time?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:41 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:What is the harm in applying anyway? Doesn't potential opportunity outweigh the potential waste of time?
Yeah

OP- Just mass blast those apps. What better things do you have to do with your time right now? Also, I wouldn't follow your instincts, at least right now they are leading you astray.

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:42 pm

You could try looking up the junior associates on the firm website to see the schools they hire from, but that time is better spent just applying to the firm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:55 pm

It would help if you identified your current law school (Iowa, Alabama, Wm.&Mary ?), and your target market(s). For example, I doubt that Alabama places many in NYC biglaw or on the West Coast.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DF Thread

Post by Desert Fox » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:57 pm

DF Thread

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”