NYU EIW Madness 2015 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2015

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear anything from Foley Hoag (DC) post-screener?
Ding but no callback from them - I think this was a little over a week ago.

lizbeck

New

Post by lizbeck » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:when was your goodwin CB?
Last week, either tuesday or wednesday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:10 pm

I've done a lot of cbs and gotten a few offers, no dings yet. What does that mean? Do firms sometimes hold back for a few weeks so they can assess the whole applicant pool?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:41 pm

Willkie offer
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:49 pm

I've done a lot of cbs and gotten a few offers, no dings yet. What does that mean? Do firms sometimes hold back for a few weeks so they can assess the whole applicant pool?
I have no idea what this poster was hoping to get by posting this. Do you want a congratulations? Take an offer you like (or keep the one you like) and cancel everything else so your fellow students may also have opportunities to meet with firms/get offers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I have no idea what this poster was hoping to get by posting this. Do you want a congratulations? Take an offer you like (or keep the one you like) and cancel everything else so your fellow students may also have opportunities to meet with firms/get offers.
+1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
+1
+2

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:15 pm

I don't get peoples fascination in collecting offers, like really? wtf? Don't hold an offer if you've got something better that you'd never pick over it. I canceled like 6 of my callbacks. I have friends who only have 1-3 CBs and no offers yet. I'm sure you do too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:23 pm

I had 7 callbacks. I did 4 already and I have gotten 2 rejections, and 2 I haven't heard back from but I doubt I got. I only have three left and I'm panicking.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had 7 callbacks. I did 4 already and I have gotten 2 rejections, and 2 I haven't heard back from but I doubt I got. I only have three left and I'm panicking.
Open-sign up with the OCS the first thing Monday. Do a practice interview with them; they are known to be very blunt about your weaknesses (hence very helpful). If you have gotten 7 CB invitations, you are surely not a terrible interviewer. But, after reiterating the same story over and over, your presentation might have become a bit less enthusiastic and perhaps even less organized. Perhaps you picked up a bad habit.

Forget about the 2 firms that haven't got back to you: You can't do anything about them at this point. But you still have 3 CB's left; that is more than what a lot of people have. Make the most out of what you still have.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
+1
+2
Oh wow, sorry. I think you guys might have misunderstood my question. I had 5 callbacks, which was a lot for me because I'm just under a 3.0 and really didn't even expect one callback.

I have two offers and I was hoping to make a decision this week so that I could open up a spot for other nyu students.

I was attempting to find out if I should hold off on making a decision in case one of my other cbs turned into an offer.

I feel pretty crappy about what the first response said. I didn't mean to say anything offensive. Had no idea our class had people who would write something sarcastic like that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
+1
+2
Oh wow, sorry. I think you guys might have misunderstood my question. I had 5 callbacks, which was a lot for me because I'm just under a 3.0 and really didn't even expect one callback.

I have two offers and I was hoping to make a decision this week so that I could open up a spot for other nyu students.

I was attempting to find out if I should hold off on making a decision in case one of my other cbs turned into an offer.

I feel pretty crappy about what the first response said. I didn't mean to say anything offensive. Had no idea our class had people who would write something sarcastic like that.
I'm not one of the above responders, but this time is stressful for people. I don't want to say that you should just understand, because yeah that reply was aggressive, but no one is their best right now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:11 am

How bad is it to have a late cb? I only have one cb left with no offers and it is scheduled for Sep. 18th. Is an offer unlikely because it is late in the process and the firm is likely to have filled its summer class? The firm is White and Case.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:33 am

Try to get it moved up. Call first thing Monday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:How bad is it to have a late cb? I only have one cb left with no offers and it is scheduled for Sep. 18th. Is an offer unlikely because it is late in the process and the firm is likely to have filled its summer class? The firm is White and Case.
Call them on Monday and ask them to put you on the waitlist. I had a late interview after Labor Day with another firm. I called them 3 times and finally they called me back and moved me to an earlier date.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:16 pm

I was able to get an out-of-town callback bumped up by almost two weeks (September 11th to August 31st) by being persistent in a friendly way and calling up legal recruiting a few times. They emailed me as soon as they had earlier spots open up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
+1
+2

Wasn't part of the original exchange, but your original post was pretty confusing. "I've done a lot of cbs" and gotten "a few offers" (connoting you had more than one). When I originally read it, I thought you were gloating.

My two cents: if you have more than one offer, you should cancel the ones you don't want. Same with callbacks that you have done or have yet to do - if you have callbacks that turn into potential offers that you wouldn't even take over one of the offers you already have, why hold on it? Simple as that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
+1
+2

Wasn't part of the original exchange, but your original post was pretty confusing. "I've done a lot of cbs" and gotten "a few offers" (connoting you had more than one). When I originally read it, I thought you were gloating.

My two cents: if you have more than one offer, you should cancel the ones you don't want. Same with callbacks that you have done or have yet to do - if you have callbacks that turn into potential offers that you wouldn't even take over one of the offers you already have, why hold on it? Simple as that.
I'm sorry, I guess I'm not as gracious as some of you are in interpreting the OP's post. To me, it seems very insensitive. What disturbs me the most is that OP said so him/herself that s/he has TWO offers and is waiting to make a decision this week until s/he hears back from his/her callbacks. Canceling one of the two offers s/he's already received has nothing to do with any of the other callbacks s/he is waiting on; s/he can still cancel one of the two offers. As someone who is still waiting to hear back from my callbacks, I will admit, this is what irked me the most.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
+1
+2

I'm sorry, I guess I'm not as gracious as some of you are in interpreting the OP's post. To me, it seems very insensitive. What disturbs me the most is that OP said so him/herself that s/he has TWO offers and is waiting to make a decision this week until s/he hears back from his/her callbacks. Canceling one of the two offers s/he's already received has nothing to do with any of the other callbacks s/he is waiting on; s/he can still cancel one of the two offers. As someone who is still waiting to hear back from my callbacks, I will admit, this is what irked me the most.
+1

Also, I don't see what was sarcastic about the original reply to the OP.

If you have more than one offer/callback that you aren't considering taking, you should promptly decline/cancel. Seriously.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:13 pm

W/r/t the exchange above, the OP should make a reasoned and well-researched decision about which offer s/he picks. Two offers is hardly hoarding anything. Everyone needs to relax a little bit.

To answer the original question that was asked: you could still receive an offer from a cb that hasn't dinged you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:W/r/t the exchange above, the OP should make a reasoned and well-researched decision about which offer s/he picks. Two offers is hardly hoarding anything. Everyone needs to relax a little bit.

To answer the original question that was asked: you could still receive an offer from a cb that hasn't dinged you.
No one is saying the OP shouldn't make a reasoned and well-researched decision. However, if after thoroughly considering his/her present options, the OP has decided he/she will not be accepting an offer or would not accept an offer if it were given, then he/she should promptly and politely decline or cancel. If someone is holding onto even one offer out of two when they KNOW they won't be accepting it, then that is most definitely "hoarding" to the potential detriment of their classmates. The 3L job search thread isn't entitled "The Vale of Tears" for nothing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
No one is saying the OP shouldn't make a reasoned and well-researched decision. However, if after thoroughly considering his/her present options, the OP has decided he/she will not be accepting an offer or would not accept an offer if it were given, then he/she should promptly and politely decline or cancel. If someone is holding onto even one offer out of two when they KNOW they won't be accepting it, then that is most definitely "hoarding" to the potential detriment of their classmates. The 3L job search thread isn't entitled "The Vale of Tears" for nothing.
This actually brings up a really good point that I've been wondering about.

What can you do after you receive an offer to make a better and quicker decision? Can you ask about the financials? Who is best to meet with? Partners or associates? How do others make their decisions so quickly?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
+1
+2

+100

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:31 am

Proskauer ding from Tuesday callback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:51 am

Had a wrong number call AND leave a voicemail...so brutal.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”