cars associates drive in la Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sawla

New

cars associates drive in la

Post by sawla » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:41 am

Sort of a silly question but here goes... what type of cars do biglaw associates typically drive in los angeles? i currently dont need a car where i work and am conflicted between a standard car such as a honda or an entry level luxury like a c class/3 series... any input would be appreciated!

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Re: cars associates drive in la

Post by iamgeorgebush » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:06 am

mazda is the official car of biglaw associates in LA

snagglepuss

Gold

Post by snagglepuss » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:31 am

iamgeorgebush wrote:mazda is the official car of biglaw associates in LA
True. But these things can vary from practice group to practice group. IP partners might go for something more modern and eco-friendly like a FIAT 500, so keep an open mind!

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:33 am

Are you asking because you're worried that you'll get get judged while walking to your office from the garage? Don't worry about that. I'd be more worried about how judgmental LA is generally.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:05 am

mazda is the official car of biglaw associates in LA
No way. Beemer, 3-series, or Audi 4. (Mazda not good for dating.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:18 pm

Huge range at my office - one of the associates drives a honda from the 1990s, one of them drives a porsche, lots of variation in between (but no Mazdas, I don't think). I drive an older (early-mid 2000s) 3 series FWIW.

LazyLASA

New

Post by LazyLASA » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:39 pm

From what I've seen, there are a lot of Mercedes' and BMW's, and there are also a lot of Priuses. That being said, there is a ton of variation, and you're really not going to be judged for what you drive.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:32 pm

LazyLASA wrote:From what I've seen, there are a lot of Mercedes' and BMW's, and there are also a lot of Priuses. That being said, there is a ton of variation, and you're really not going to be judged for what you drive.
unless it's a 3 series

LA Spring

Bronze

Post by LA Spring » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:08 am

I am one of the few associates not driving a foreign car (Mazda, Honda, etc.) or some type of smaller SUV. I really just had to have a convertible, 2013 Chrysler. Maybe down the road I can afford to upgrade to a Benz, which is what most the partners drive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:25 am

El Pollito wrote:
LazyLASA wrote:From what I've seen, there are a lot of Mercedes' and BMW's, and there are also a lot of Priuses. That being said, there is a ton of variation, and you're really not going to be judged for what you drive.
unless it's a 3 series
Whatever happened to the 1-series in USA? I remember them cropping up for a bit right after I graduated college but it doesn't look like they're on BMW USA's website any longer? My old roommate used to drive a 1-series and I always thought it was a nifty little car that wasn't as emasculating as a mini or etc. If I recall correctly it was much cheaper than a 3-series too.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:12 am

Get a used Subaru Forester.

Jay2716

Bronze

Post by Jay2716 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:28 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
unless it's a 3 series
Whatever happened to the 1-series in USA? I remember them cropping up for a bit right after I graduated college but it doesn't look like they're on BMW USA's website any longer? My old roommate used to drive a 1-series and I always thought it was a nifty little car that wasn't as emasculating as a mini or etc. If I recall correctly it was much cheaper than a 3-series too.
It's the 2-series now. BMW usually uses even numbers for coupes and odd numbers for sedans. They changed the name to make the labeling consistent with the rest of the line.

Vexed

Bronze

Post by Vexed » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:28 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
unless it's a 3 series
I think it just got folded into the 2-series.

And the 1-series is still pretty fucking tiny where it counted. One of the big gripes with the 3-series these days is that they've kinda morphed into these much larger, less sport-sized cars over time from what they once were. One of my first cars was an E30 and while they're comparatively around the same body size, that E30 from '88 somehow still dwarfs the trunk space and overall interior space of the 1-series. Biggest upside to the 1-series is that it does have that classic weight distribution that makes the E30 and E36 (to a lesser extent) fun to drive.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stannis

Silver

Post by stannis » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:01 pm

El Pollito wrote:
unless it's a 3 series
This is the most accurate response in this thread. 3 series (or C-Class) for that matter just screams try-hard that can't afford an actual luxury car. A Honda Accord with all the options is a far better car at a much more reasonable price. Only the worst kind of people would judge someone for driving an Accord. A 3 Series or C-Class on the other hand just makes you seem someone that is willing to throw away tens of thousands of dollars (usually debt-financed by someone with a negative net worth) just so others will be "impressed" by your "awesome car."

Audi is ok because they aren't as typically try-hard.

Get an Accord (or even a Civic) or an Altima and get reasonable mileage and minimal maintenance fees. Also will likely be worth more than a 3 series in 5 years, at which point you can upgrade to an actual luxury car (Infiniti, Lexus, German cars that aren't the above mentioned ones) unless you'd rather put the money into a home or your kids schooling or something.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:56 pm

you're really not going to be judged for what you drive.
You must be from out of town. :mrgreen:
someone that is willing to throw away tens of thousands of dollars (usually debt-financed by someone with a negative net worth) just so others will be "impressed" by your "awesome car."
Welcome to L.A.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:19 pm

stannis wrote:3 series (or C-Class) for that matter just screams try-hard that can't afford an actual luxury car. A Honda Accord with all the options is a far better car at a much more reasonable price. Only the worst kind of people would judge someone for driving an Accord. A 3 Series or C-Class on the other hand just makes you seem someone that is willing to throw away tens of thousands of dollars (usually debt-financed by someone with a negative net worth) just so others will be "impressed" by your "awesome car."

wat

stannis

Silver

Post by stannis » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:54 pm

los blancos wrote:
stannis wrote:3 series (or C-Class) for that matter just screams try-hard that can't afford an actual luxury car. A Honda Accord with all the options is a far better car at a much more reasonable price. Only the worst kind of people would judge someone for driving an Accord. A 3 Series or C-Class on the other hand just makes you seem someone that is willing to throw away tens of thousands of dollars (usually debt-financed by someone with a negative net worth) just so others will be "impressed" by your "awesome car."

wat
(guy with a 40k dollar 4 cylinder car with wood "accents")

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:52 pm

stannis wrote:
los blancos wrote:

wat
No, guy with $7k 6 cylinder car, but nice try.

LazyLASA

New

Post by LazyLASA » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:56 pm

Big Dog wrote:
you're really not going to be judged for what you drive.
You must be from out of town. :mrgreen:
I'm from here. I just didn't want to include the caveat of "unless you drive a Ford Focus or a smartcar."

stannis

Silver

Post by stannis » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:59 pm

los blancos wrote:
stannis wrote:
los blancos wrote:

wat
No, guy with $7k 6 cylinder car, but nice try.

not really sure what you found objectionable about my post since you seem to have a reasonable car.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:00 am

I think it was that an Audi isn't a try hard car, which lol.

Seriously though, go with a Forester. It says "I don't give a fuck about impressing you with my car."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stannis

Silver

Post by stannis » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:24 am

TheUnicornHunter wrote:I think it was that an Audi isn't a try hard car, which lol.

Seriously though, go with a Forester. It says "I don't give a fuck about impressing you with my car."

Fair point. Not gonna try to argue Audi isn't try hard. Entry level Lexus/Infiniti probably is as well. I just think BMW and Mercedes have more of a "look at me" quality to them.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:36 am

Lol, I don't know man. This is LA. The 3 series etc is like your every day entry level working man car in a ton of neighborhoods. I don't think people judge you for a 3 series. Maybe they judge you for being a poor.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:37 am

But hey -- if you live in the valley just do you man.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:06 am

So would my 2 Door no-ABS Chevy Cobalt survive the #biglawlife?
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”