Does physical attractiveness play a role? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BrooklynLaw16

Bronze

Does physical attractiveness play a role?

Post by BrooklynLaw16 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:21 am

Two diametrically opposed anecdotes:
1. Beautiful woman at a T2 with terrible grades gets a market paying mid-law job ($150K)
2. Objectively goofy looking guy with top 20% grades isn't able to land mid-law or big-law.

These real life situations tend to influence the conclusion that looks play a part in the upper echelons of legal hiring. Thoughts?

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Re: Does physical attractiveness play a role?

Post by gaddockteeg » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:26 am

lol of course it does. I wouldn't necessarily say it was just because of looks though. i think sometimes good looking people have just gone through life with better human interactions and are thus just more sociable/likeable as a result.

also, i recall reading an article recently about how firm "fit" is just a way to discriminate. but this isn't unioque to law imo.

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:30 am

Just PW already so that we can tell you if you have anything to worry about.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:30 am

BrooklynLaw16 wrote:Two diametrically opposed anecdotes:
1. Beautiful woman at a T2 with terrible grades gets a market paying mid-law job ($150K)
2. Objectively goofy looking guy with top 20% grades isn't able to land mid-law or big-law.

These real life situations tend to influence the conclusion that looks play a part in the upper echelons of legal hiring. Thoughts?
I don't think a beautiful woman from a T2 is getting a market paying job if her grades are terrible. But I think it definitely helps on the margins. I'd say thinking about people in my class that are pretty good looking, they probably did better than others that were in the same grade range. But I also know a really pretty girl that struck out at OCI. Looks help cause they do for most everything, but personality and your grades are way more important

EDIT: Although I do remember one firm during OCI really standing out. 70 person satellite office of a national firm. Every SA they hired the past two years were really attractive females. But they were still all from t14s or top 10% from T1s. So grades still mattered

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:43 am

It matters, but grades matter more. There definitely a few attractive girls at my school who punched above their GPA when OCI came around.

But there are also some really unattractive summers, both men and women, at my DC firm. I think being unattractive hurts women more than men, though. There's only a couple unattractive female summers vs several unattractive male summers where I'm at.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:09 am

Anonymous User wrote: But there are also some really unattractive summers, both men and women, at my DC firm.
Not surprised.

OP, it's called the halo effect and it's very real.

DrRighteous

Gold

Post by DrRighteous » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:I think being unattractive hurts women more than men, though. There's only a couple unattractive female summers vs several unattractive male summers where I'm at.
Research supports you on this. Also, it helps if women are attractive/pretty but hurts if they are seen as sexy.

buddhabelly

New

Post by buddhabelly » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:40 pm

gaddockteeg wrote:lol of course it does. I wouldn't necessarily say it was just because of looks though. i think sometimes good looking people have just gone through life with better human interactions and are thus just more sociable/likeable as a result.
TITCR. Attractive people are on average just better at interacting with other people. Throw in the law school aspies that they are competing against and they look even better.

Attractiveness itself is a mixture of good looks and social skills, there's a reason that outgoing girl in your section is more attractive than that obnoxious gunner, and it's not purely because of what their mamas gave them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:14 am

I thought attractiveness would matter, but I was kind of surprised by how little it did at OCI a few years back. Some of the prettiest girls in the school, with median grades, struck out...and plenty of not so pretty ones with median grades didn't. Same with the guys. Just my observations, but I was surprised by how little of a difference it made.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The Mixed Tape

Platinum

Post by The Mixed Tape » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:29 am

i hope so

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:33 am

Obvs Rachel Zane could be well below median and get biglaw EASY

The Mixed Tape

Platinum

Post by The Mixed Tape » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:34 am

obvs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”