Low Grade in Lit-Focused Class...Express Interest in Corporate at OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Low Grade in Lit-Focused Class...Express Interest in Corporate at OCI?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:54 am

1L at MVP here. I only have most of my grades, but its looking like mediansville. One problem though is that I got a low grade (like B-). This was not a discretionary low-grade like a C+, i was part of the curve.

I know that there is a heavy bent towards litigation in *all* of the 1L core classes, but the class I fucked up is especially lit-focused and could never have any thing to do with transactional work (think like Civ Pro or Torts). Assuming my one bad grade is in this particularly lit-focused class should I tell employers at OCI that I'm interested in corporate? I know TCR is to say you want to rotate through different practice groups, but should I just cut to the chase and say i want corp (which is actually true) as a way to get around my shitty grade?

buddhabelly

New

Re: Low Grade in Lit-Focused Class...Express Interest in Corporate at OCI?

Post by buddhabelly » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:11 am

Why so vague? You're an anonymous user.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:1L at MVP here. I only have most of my grades, but its looking like mediansville. One problem though is that I got a low grade (like B-). This was not a discretionary low-grade like a C+, i was part of the curve.

I know that there is a heavy bent towards litigation in *all* of the 1L core classes, but the class I fucked up is especially lit-focused and could never have any thing to do with transactional work (think like Civ Pro or Torts). Assuming my one bad grade is in this particularly lit-focused class should I tell employers at OCI that I'm interested in corporate? I know TCR is to say you want to rotate through different practice groups, but should I just cut to the chase and say i want corp (which is actually true) as a way to get around my shitty grade?
If you want to do corporate, why wouldn't you just say that to begin with? I told all the firms at OCI that I wanted to do corporate and I think for the most part it helped. I got a B in torts and thought it would be brought up at OCI and never was. A B- is slightly worse, but shouldn't keep you from getting offers. If you want to do corporate, tell them

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:15 am

If you're interested in corporate, then say that. Honestly it doesn't much matter what class your bad grade is in, IMO, except that as a litigator I might be slightly (but only slightly) more concerned about a bad civ pro grade. (I could give a shit about torts.) In any case the right move is to express interest in what you're interested in. If you wanted lit despite your grades then I'd tell you to say that anyway, but luckily that isn't even an issue here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:18 am

OP here. Thanks for the advice doodz

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:29 am

Yeah you're definitely overthinking this. On one hand, lit and corporate have overlapping skillsets, it's not like it's math vs visual art, so being interested in corporate isn't going to significantly change the impact of that grade. On the other hand, it's only one bad grade. And on the third hand, it's more important to say what you're actually interested in, especially if the firm has a particular weighting toward one or the other (firms like to hear that you have at least some superficial reason to want their firm over other firms).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”