backing out of bigfed position for a clerkship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

backing out of bigfed position for a clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:38 pm

I accepted a position with a federal agency in DC (not DOJ) in the fall of 2014 for 2015. I had been applying for federal clerkships up to that point and had several interviews but no luck. After accepting the agency position, I withdrew all of my still active applications on OSCAR but didn't pull paper applications. I just found out I have an opportunity to interview with a federal district judge for 2015. Backing out of the agency position for this clerkship would be a big mistake right? It's not like a law firm where they'd be happy to see you clerk and then maybe get you back? Thanks.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: backing out of bigfed position for a clerkship

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:06 pm

It depends upon the agency. Some federal agencies have summer interns but make it clear that a permanent position is highly unlikely.

Do you plan to work in the agencies specialty area ? Also, to state the obvious, an interview is far from a job offer so why burn bridges ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:13 pm

To clarify, it's an entry-level attorney/honors position. I don't feel comfortable disclosing the agency, since I could probably be identified then but get that it would probably depend on the agency. I know a DOJ Honors position is treated similar to a clerkship in that if you were to back out for whatever reason, you'd burn a lot of bridges. I'm assuming it'd more like the DOJ than say a firm where they'd encourage you to take the opportunity.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:17 pm

I don't have any expertise in this area, but I responded to help get the discussion started. I suspect that without more specifics you'll only receive generalized responses.

Any reason to believe that the judge will make you an offer (other than being granted an interview) ?

If offered on the spot, it seems clear that you want to take the clerkship so you need to be concerned with how that judge or other federal judges view such a move ( reneging on a prior accepted offer).
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seizmaar

Silver

Post by seizmaar » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:20 pm

just email whoever you've spoken with the most at the SEC and explain the situation and they'll tell you how they feel about it. something tells me they won't be able to "hold your spot" like a firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:29 pm

You have a choice to make; either discuss your concerns now with the federal agency contact or wait until offered the clerkship & discuss your move with the judge at that time. If not offered the clerkship position, then the matter is moot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:34 pm

OP here, thanks for the responses. I declined the interview and apologized for not withdrawing sooner. The thought of going to a different city for a year with my young family just seemed too much after settling on DC.

seizmaar

Silver

Post by seizmaar » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:47 pm

i'm all for clerkships, but if this is the job you see yourself at, it's probably good to get in now and settle where you want to be long term.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:54 pm

Good decision. You can always clerk later if you want.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

krads153

Silver

Post by krads153 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:21 pm

It seems harder landing bigfed these days (not necessarily due to grades, but due to connections/networking) than clerkships if you have the grades.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DF Thread

Post by Desert Fox » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:37 pm

DF Thread

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”