Suit Colors? Already have Navy/Charcoal Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Suit Colors? Already have Navy/Charcoal

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 17, 2015 4:04 pm

I am going overseas to visit family next week and will be paying a visit to our tailor. I can get good-quality, custom made suits for considerably cheaper than I could in the US, and I was wondering what are reasonable colors/designs that an associate could wear other than Navy/Charcoal?

Ideally I would like suits I could wear to work, but am willing to get some more unconventional ones if anyone has any recommendations. Would Plaid/Window-pane designs be okay for an Associate? How about Browns/Olives/Tans?

KD35

Silver

Re: Suit Colors? Already have Navy/Charcoal

Post by KD35 » Sun May 17, 2015 4:18 pm

My guess would be it depends based on the region where you work.

swampman

Bronze

Post by swampman » Sun May 17, 2015 4:58 pm

Just a heads-up, especially if this is an asian country, taste in things like shoulder padding, arm holes, waist suppression, jacket length, pockets, lapels etc. is often very different from what's acceptable in the U.S., especially in a conservative environment. You could end up with a high-quality (as in nice fabric and quality construction) suit that looks pretty silly if you don't know what to ask for.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun May 17, 2015 5:28 pm

I'd say the next acceptable color is grey.

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Sun May 17, 2015 6:20 pm

White is a universally acceptable suit color. Get a white suit

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Sun May 17, 2015 6:35 pm

Clearly wrote:I'd say the next acceptable color is grey.

if you have the body type/frame for it. I don't think it looks good on people with larger builds. just imo

ditch digger

Bronze

Post by ditch digger » Sun May 17, 2015 7:03 pm

You can't go wrong with a seersucker suit, brah

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sun May 17, 2015 7:07 pm

If your suit ain't rockin' punctuation, you ain't shit.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun May 17, 2015 8:03 pm

encore1101 wrote:
Clearly wrote:I'd say the next acceptable color is grey.

if you have the body type/frame for it. I don't think it looks good on people with larger builds. just imo
Never stopped to think about it, but I agree

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:32 pm

To start, you should think about your skin tone/complexion. There are some colors that look better on some complexions than others. For example, a tan suit would look awful if it matched your skin tone too closely, as opposed to if you were darker skinned.

Personally, after I started working and had more money to buy a couple of more suits, I just bought another navy blue and charcoal. Charcoal comes in a few different shades you can get, and my skin color doesn't really work with any other suit/shirt color combinations.

wbrother

Bronze

Post by wbrother » Sun May 17, 2015 9:34 pm

encore1101 wrote:To start, you should think about your skin tone/complexion. There are some colors that look better on some complexions than others. For example, a tan suit would look awful if it matched your skin tone too closely, as opposed to if you were darker skinned.

Personally, after I started working and had more money to buy a couple of more suits, I just bought another navy blue and charcoal. Charcoal comes in a few different shades you can get, and my skin color doesn't really work with any other suit/shirt color combinations.
Different shades of navy/charcoal seems to be the best option. I got two of each, and a weird grey/pinstripe combo that my guy promised would look legit. Usually sits in my closest unless I'm past due for a dry cleaner run.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Mon May 18, 2015 9:16 am

wbrother wrote:
encore1101 wrote:To start, you should think about your skin tone/complexion. There are some colors that look better on some complexions than others. For example, a tan suit would look awful if it matched your skin tone too closely, as opposed to if you were darker skinned.

Different shades of navy/charcoal seems to be the best option. I got two of each, and a weird grey/pinstripe combo that my guy promised would look legit. Usually sits in my closest unless I'm past due for a dry cleaner run.

I feel you. I have a navy pinstripe suit that is pretty much my "miscalculated dry cleaner scheduling" go-to.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 18, 2015 1:43 pm

lighter grey and deeper blue. I don't think young dudes can pull off brown. also it's nice to have an actual black suit for evening stuff.

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Post by smallfirmassociate » Mon May 18, 2015 2:27 pm

Get a somewhat flashy black suit (seriously). Maybe some understated pinstripes. You'll probably wear it a few times a year, and it's nice to have a formal outfit that doesn't look like work clothes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”