Day off SA For College Reunion Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Greensleeves

New

Day off SA For College Reunion

Post by Greensleeves » Fri May 15, 2015 6:21 pm

Am I being overly uptight for telling my friend that it's a terrible idea to ask for a day off from her summer associate position to attend her college reunion?

Discuss
Last edited by Greensleeves on Fri May 15, 2015 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mephistopheles

Gold

Re: Day off SA For College Reunion

Post by mephistopheles » Fri May 15, 2015 6:22 pm

you only get one shot to start off your professional life on the right foot.

do the right thing.

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Sat May 16, 2015 9:18 pm

That sounds a little over the top. I don't think its a big deal to ask for something like that.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sat May 16, 2015 9:22 pm

Greensleeves wrote:Am I being overly uptight for telling my friend that it's a terrible idea to ask for a day off from her summer associate position to attend her college reunion?
Yes.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sat May 16, 2015 9:34 pm

How long have you been out of college?

Is there a particular draw that makes you wish to attend this reunion?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sat May 16, 2015 9:47 pm

haus wrote:How long have you been out of college?

Is there a particular draw that makes you wish to attend this reunion?
Who cares? If the OP's friend wants to go to a college reunion (or a friend's wedding or a baby shower or a whatever), he or she should go. It's just a day.

If OP's friend is as paranoid as many ITT seem to be, then he or she should ask the SA coordinator if it's ok to take a day off for a personal reason. Unless the firm is super weird, the response will be: "Sure, no problem, just let us know in advance what the day is."

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sat May 16, 2015 10:06 pm

rpupkin wrote: Who cares? If the OP's friend wants to go to a college reunion (or a friend's wedding or a baby shower or a whatever), he or she should go. It's just a day.
Personally not a fan of reunions myself. If the OP is simply using work as an excuse to avoid the event, there is nothing wrong with that. If it is honestly something that the OP wants to attend, then put in for a day off.

If this is something odd like a 2 or 3 year reunion, I imagine that it will not have much of a turn out. So even if you are inclined you may well end up in a room with just about no one else, where staying in the office might turn out to be more fun.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”