Rejection e-mail Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rejection e-mail

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 07, 2015 3:02 pm

I interviewed for a law clerk position at a mid-sized firm - phone then in person. I thought it went well, but the hr e-mailed me saying the partner decided to go a different way with hiring a law clerk, and that this is not a result of bad references, just so that I am aware and do not worry. Does this ever happen, or is it just a nice way of saying they picked someone else?

kaiser

Gold

Re: Rejection e-mail

Post by kaiser » Thu May 07, 2015 3:06 pm

It certainly was nice of them to let you know that it wasn't a reference that shot you down. Most places would never offer that courtesy. They would just send you a stock rejection letter/email, and you would be left guessing why.

swampman

Bronze

Post by swampman » Thu May 07, 2015 3:11 pm

Sounds like the HR person was trying to tell you that you were a strong applicant but the partner decided to hire his nephew or something, so don't flip out and replace your references.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 07, 2015 3:28 pm

wow, just noticed their new posting with a different deadline. fml.

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Post by smallfirmassociate » Fri May 08, 2015 11:37 am

Well, if it wasn't going to be a good fit, it's actually better to know right up front than to throw away your summer. I know that probably doesn't make you feel better, but it's true. I threw away one summer at a firm that was a terrible fit.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 08, 2015 2:47 pm

Bad HR technique. HR should never give a reason (for example, oh, and just to let you relax & not worry, it's not because you're a Hispanic female).

P.S. Get new references.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”