PI 2L Internship Cancelled Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RedTiger56

New

PI 2L Internship Cancelled

Post by RedTiger56 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:55 pm

A summer internship that I got a few months ago notified me that they don't want an intern anymore. I am supposed to start in 3 weeks. What the heck do I do?

I contacted the relevant office in my school, and they said to apply to more places....They did not seem like they would take action against the employer, such as not allowing access to the job board.

1. How awful is it to not have a summer internship?
2. Is it worth using favors with contacts I had planned on saving? And how do I negotiate those waters: "Hey, can I have a job? Don't worry, I'm qualified, it's just that my internship was cancelled last minute. I'm superrrrr interested in an internship with you, hence me waiting until the end to contact you."

misterjames

Bronze

Re: PI 2L Internship Cancelled

Post by misterjames » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:58 pm

damn that really sucks, but this shit can happen. i'm not surprised your school is unwilling to do anything, there's no way they'd cut off an employer for future students because of this.

that being said, you absolutely need to start looking for something else. don't worry about using connections, a simple explanation about your situation is all that's needed, if they even ask. i would start sending out applications asap.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:08 am

RedTiger56 wrote:A summer internship that I got a few months ago notified me that they don't want an intern anymore. I am supposed to start in 3 weeks. What the heck do I do?

I contacted the relevant office in my school, and they said to apply to more places....They did not seem like they would take action against the employer, such as not allowing access to the job board.

2. Is it worth using favors with contacts I had planned on saving? And how do I negotiate those waters: "Hey, can I have a job? Don't worry, I'm qualified, it's just that my internship was cancelled last minute. I'm superrrrr interested in an internship with you, hence me waiting until the end to contact you."
1. It's not the end of the world, but it is also too early to give up. Most places are still hiring.
2. You don't need to bring up the fact that you're contacting places last minute, just do it. If you had a good relationship with the employer that left you hanging, I would ask if they know of other places hiring and if they could put in a good word. I know this sucks and the timing couldn't be worse, but just keep applying to places. I know a classmate who did not get a job until late June. Again, it's not great, but it's done with.

k5220

Bronze

Post by k5220 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:14 pm

RedTiger56 wrote:A summer internship that I got a few months ago notified me that they don't want an intern anymore. I am supposed to start in 3 weeks. What the heck do I do?

I'm so sorry- that's terrible!
1. You absolutely need a summer job to stay hire-able. You need to figure something out, even if it's just volunteering or doing research for a professor (or anything else that would develop legal experience).
2. It may be worth calling in favors if you have to. If it comes up, I think you can be upfront that you had accepted an offer that fell through at the last minute.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”