Interview / Finals Conflict Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
paraguayfargus

New

Interview / Finals Conflict

Post by paraguayfargus » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:12 pm

I am looking for some advice. My first interview offer in months just rolled in for a smaller firm in a city in my state. The problem is that its scheduled for the same day as my Crim Pro final.

I tried to reschedule but the firm pushed back because "this was the only day everyone would be in the office for a while." I can still make the final but would be an hour late (3 hour final). My professor said I could take it in those last two hours, but otherwise won't budge. The firm can't reschedule either... :(

Help!

transferror

Silver

Re: Interview / Finals Conflict

Post by transferror » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:18 pm

Sounds like a big red flag for the firm. Probably insufferable people. Take the final and keep applying.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:09 pm

Man that's tough. I'd ask the administration if you can take it early/late. They want their graduates employed.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:26 pm

Interviewing for what - this summer, next summer, permanent job postgrad? These things would make a difference to me.

paraguayfargus

New

Post by paraguayfargus » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:32 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Interviewing for what - this summer, next summer, permanent job postgrad? These things would make a difference to me.
Permanent job. I have only talked to the professor thus far, but maybe I should reach out to the administration. I just hate going above people's heads.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:42 pm

transferror wrote:Sounds like a big red flag for the firm. Probably insufferable people. Take the final and keep applying.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:43 pm

I'm assuming you're a 3L?
Do you know what their office environment is otherwise like? Or do you know anyone that works at the firm presently? Because that kind of demand makes me think that they'll treat you like shit if you're hired.

Actus Reus

Bronze

Post by Actus Reus » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:45 pm

Go directly to the dean of your school. If they truly care about employment, they'll move your exam.

paraguayfargus

New

Post by paraguayfargus » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:46 pm

encore1101 wrote:I'm assuming you're a 3L?
Do you know what their office environment is otherwise like? Or do you know anyone that works at the firm presently? Because that kind of demand makes me think that they'll treat you like shit if you're hired.
Yeah I'm a 3L. I actually don't have that much insight into the firm and got the interview somehow through a mass mail. It's a mid size firm near home and they have a wide range of practice areas that I would want to try out.

I had a 'screener' that went really well and I thought the people were really cool. This is the first thing that has been off putting.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:48 pm

paraguayfargus wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Interviewing for what - this summer, next summer, permanent job postgrad? These things would make a difference to me.
Permanent job. I have only talked to the professor thus far, but maybe I should reach out to the administration. I just hate going above people's heads.
Both your Prof and the firm are a**holes.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:55 pm

paraguayfargus wrote:
encore1101 wrote:I'm assuming you're a 3L?
Yeah I'm a 3L. I actually don't have that much insight into the firm and got the interview somehow through a mass mail. It's a mid size firm near home and they have a wide range of practice areas that I would want to try out.

I had a 'screener' that went really well and I thought the people were really cool. This is the first thing that has been off putting.
I like Actus Reus's idea: go to the Dean.

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:57 pm

transferror wrote:Sounds like a big red flag for the firm. Probably insufferable people. Take the final and keep applying.
Agreed. Take the final and if your firm won't reschedule, realize you saved yourself from having to work with completely unreasonable people.

misterjames

Bronze

Post by misterjames » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:02 am

did you tell the firm that you needed to reschedule because you have a final at that time? if you did and they still didn't budge i'd run far away from them, that sounds sketchy as hell

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:31 am

Wait, I assumed OP told firm the schedule conflict was an exam. You did do that, right OP?

paraguayfargus

New

Post by paraguayfargus » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:10 am

Br3v wrote:Wait, I assumed OP told firm the schedule conflict was an exam. You did do that, right OP?
Yea. I did that. Frustrated. :|

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:23 am

That's bizarrely shitty on the part of the firm.

But, I mean, 3lol. Might be worth it to take the exam in 2 hours and get a gentleman's B-, if going over the prof's head to the dean doesn't work.

Maybe the school would let you arrange to have your computer already in the exam room (have a friend take it), and come in an hour late, and stay an hour late to finish. Then obviously your classmates wouldn't have any chance to tell you what was on the exam.

paraguayfargus

New

Post by paraguayfargus » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:08 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:That's bizarrely shitty on the part of the firm.

But, I mean, 3lol. Might be worth it to take the exam in 2 hours and get a gentleman's B-, if going over the prof's head to the dean doesn't work.

Maybe the school would let you arrange to have your computer already in the exam room (have a friend take it), and come in an hour late, and stay an hour late to finish. Then obviously your classmates wouldn't have any chance to tell you what was on the exam.
Good idea. I'll try proposing this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:12 pm

In my opinion, your law professor should be more accommodating since it is easily done as suggested in an above post.

Small law firms often want to get unanimous opinions on new hires because of the constant close interaction. It can be difficult for a law firm to get everyone together at the same time. Law school exams should be much more flexible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:34 am

I don't know- last semester, I caved and let a pushy firm interview me the morning of my final. I know that's not nearly as bad as taking up an hour of my actual final, but I was really frustrated and it ended up peeking through during the interview. (They predictably started with something like "How are you doing?" and I said something like "Really busy in the middle of finals but I'm making it work" or something like that, trying to make it upbeat, and one of the snarky interviewers just said "Oh well thank you for making time in your busy schedule" kind of sardonically, and after that the tone was off for the whole interview.)

And I know a job's a job, but do you really want to work for people that can't accommodate something as big as a conflict with your finals? Like they were law students once and should know how big of a deal finals are.

I wouldn't blow your grade for a shot at such a pushy place.

paraguayfargus

New

Post by paraguayfargus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:06 pm

The Dean got it sorted out!
The prof had said it wasn't possible, but I am taking the exam an hour later in the dean's office. He seemed kinda pissed the prof even let it get to him and apologized to me! Wow!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:09 pm

paraguayfargus wrote:The Dean got it sorted out!
The prof had said it wasn't possible, but I am taking the exam an hour later in the dean's office. He seemed kinda pissed the prof even let it get to him and apologized to me! Wow!
Because the dean's job depends on you getting a job, not the prof's. Congrats, now go kill that interview!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:39 pm

paraguayfargus wrote:The Dean got it sorted out!
Congrats! Now go get that job!

J9ofDiamonds

Gold

Post by J9ofDiamonds » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:16 am

I'm glad it worked out, but a few people were giving really shitty advice. OP is a 3L who is still looking for a job, and said that this was their first interview request in months. Its the end of April. Lol at telling them that they were probably lucky to avoid working with the people at that firm and that OP should just blow off the interview and take the final. If I was in that position, there is no way I am missing that interview, and I would make that clear to the dean if necessary.

edit: good luck on the interview

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:07 am

There should be a poll see who was the bigger shithead - the firm for not caring or the prof for caring so much.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:27 am

J9ofDiamonds wrote:I'm glad it worked out, but a few people were giving really shitty advice. OP is a 3L who is still looking for a job, and said that this was their first interview request in months. Its the end of April. Lol at telling them that they were probably lucky to avoid working with the people at that firm and that OP should just blow off the interview and take the final. If I was in that position, there is no way I am missing that interview, and I would make that clear to the dean if necessary.

edit: good luck on the interview
Yeah, this is dead on. You got law school to get a job, not take an exam.

Good luck with your interview.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”