What is the sweetest law job? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hiima3L

Silver

Re: What is the sweetest law job?

Post by hiima3L » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:21 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:
hiima3L wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote: You get a class of, what, 20+ students who already are competent writers by virtue of them being at a top law school.
LJL at this.
I TA'd legal writing at a T14. Almost half of the 1Ls were laughably bad by the low-bar standard of lawyer writing; they would without a doubt have finished bottom of the pack in my top-10 undergrad English program, which itself wasn't particularly rigorous. A high percentage of the students came from Ivy's or fancy east coast liberal arts schools, but they were in majors like History or Poli Sci that don't focus on the mechanics of good writing whatsoever. Most lawyers are terrible writers for a reason.
I TA'd LRW and 1L moot court, I've been involved with a number of moot court/mock trial comps, and I've had interns from across the preftige spectrum.

The overwhelming majority (80%+) of 1Ls are god awful writers. Hell, the majority of law students and lawyers are not good writers. The only 1Ls/rising 2Ls I've dealt with who were good were either paralegals before law school or are the lucky few who just get it. Legal writing is a learned skill with, IMO, little to no correlation to school rank, grades, intelligence, etc.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:55 pm

Being a good legal writer is also pretty different than being a good writer in other circumstances.

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:55 pm

i'm just focused on getting my opinion-writing down for when i'm an AIII judge

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”