Short-term jobs before law school - Impact on OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
abcabc

New

Short-term jobs before law school - Impact on OCI?

Post by abcabc » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:38 am

Last edited by abcabc on Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

filibuster

Bronze

Re: Short-term jobs before law school - Impact on OCI?

Post by filibuster » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:45 am

No worries. Just get good grades.

didntretake

New

Post by didntretake » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:22 pm

I agree, no reason to be worried. As above just get good grades. If you get asked about job hopping, spin the same story you gave here into how you have now found your calling in law blah blah or whatever.

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:37 pm

As long as those jobs were somewhat 9-5 office-y type gigs then you'll be miles ahead of your KJD classmates. Add good grades on top and you shouldn't really have to worry

abcabc

New

Post by abcabc » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:51 pm

Last edited by abcabc on Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze

Post by WhiskeynCoke » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:51 pm

abcabc wrote:So, I've held multiple jobs for 4 years before enrolling in law school. My gigs were nothing major or special. While I was never fired from the job or disciplined for any reason, I've never held a job for more than a year. I guess I just couldn't figure out what career path I wanted to take on before going to law school (I know, I know, 4 years is a long time to figure it out).

I don't have any gap in my resume, but I'm a bit concerned I may come across as a job-hopper threat to law firms and such during the OCI.

How valid is my concern? How much stock do firms put on pre-law school employment history? Any good strategy to spin this the right way?

Thanks!
You're fine. I was in the same exact position as you and I don't think it hurt me during OCI. I owned it and spun it as a "I needed to mature a bit more before I was ready to go all-in on law school" thing, which appeared to go over well. In fact, I think the underlined above will work great. It shows you have some life experience/perspective and have had a boss, paid bills, etc.

While relevant/"impressive" experience (i.e. Goldman) will give someone a boost, grades are still the most important for most firms. Just focus on grades now and prepare for your interviews during the summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”