Dress code at NYC firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
$$$$$$

Bronze

Re: Dress code at NYC firms

Post by $$$$$$ » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:03 pm

It's good to have a bag. I usually just use mine to bring a book, my nice headphones, and any other stuff I may print and bring home. No one will make fun of you, and if the do, just remember, they are probably losers.

Internetdan

New

Post by Internetdan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:04 pm

I'm not sure about briefcases v. messenger bags, and don't really know the difference but I'd be surprised if it was douchey to bring a bag with you. Even if not for a laptop, which you probably wouldn't use because you'll have a pc at your desk and shouldn't use your personal laptop for really anything, people like to carry things.

For instance I carry eye drops, phone charger, gum, hand sanitizer, headphones, tissues, glasses case, spray deodorant, notepad, pens, tums, cigarettes and lighter (one of the few left), electric shaver, and bourbon flask in a messenger bag. I'll even put gym clothes in it.

No one should judge you for bringing a bag as SA. Of course you could keep all those things in your desk, but like most things on this forum it doesn't matter.
Last edited by Internetdan on Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Internetdan

New

Post by Internetdan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:04 pm

Internetdan wrote:I'm not sure about briefcases v. messenger bags, and don't really know the difference but I'd be surprised if it was douchey to bring a bag with you. Even if not for a laptop, which you probably wouldn't use because you'll have a pc at your desk and shouldn't use your personal laptop for really anything, people like to carry things.

For instance I carry eye drops, phone charger, gum, hand sanitizer, headphones, tissues, glasses case, spray deodorant, notepad, pens, tums, cigarettes and lighter (one of the few left), electric shaver, and bourbon flask in a messenger bag. I'll even put gym clothes in it.

No one should judge you for bringing a bag as SA. Of course you could keep all those things in your desk, but like most things on this forum it doesn't matter.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:44 pm

Ok definitely packing bourbon in the future tyvm for the idea.

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:12 pm

Internetdan wrote:I'm not sure about briefcases v. messenger bags, and don't really know the difference but I'd be surprised if it was douchey to bring a bag with you. Even if not for a laptop, which you probably wouldn't use because you'll have a pc at your desk and shouldn't use your personal laptop for really anything, people like to carry things.

It's odd, because the teasing isn't about having a bag, it's very specific to briefcases. Some associates have messenger bags or carry backpacks, and SAs have used canvas or distressed leather messenger bags and gotten no flack. Lots of junior partners carry canvas or leather messenger bags or backpacks even to court. But the only people who ever use actual briefcases are senior partners, so when an SA shows up with a briefcase they will usually get teased. It's not nice, but then, lots of lawyers aren't nice, and I figured that if someone is sensitive to teasing they should know in advance that they're opening themselves up to it by doing something they can easily avoid.

But anyway, it looks like I lovely briefcase, and I wouldn't personally tease the poster for bringing it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:17 pm

It's just as much a messenger bag as a briefcase, i.e. the flap

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:23 pm

zosluu wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
zosluu wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Link plz
http://www.ebags.com/product/kenneth-co ... 0596012338
If you did want to bring a bag to work, this is fine and completely inoffensive. I'd personally go for a more muted color though so you're never clashing with your shoes.

Awesome. Thank you!
but definitely don't get the black version of this bag. the stitching is pretty atrocious

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:44 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:It's just as much a messenger bag as a briefcase, i.e. the flap
It's a flapover briefcase. They're very common. They will be mocked (at least at my firm). You might be publicly mocked by a partner at a department meeting and asked what important court case you have going on that requires you to bring a briefcase to work as a summer associate or whether you're having to work late nights and take lots of things home in your briefcase as a summer associate. If you don't care, good, you shouldn't. But I've seen multiple summer associate classes come and go and have seen a few summer associates looking embarrassed and blushing when this gets brought up. It's not kind. The firm attorneys see it as all in good fun. But some SAs take it poorly, so I figured I should give them a heads up, that's all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:59 pm

Sorry if this is retarded of me to ask, but I assumed I wouldn't need any sort of bag as a SA. I assumed that SA's probably don't get laptops because they don't really have to take any work home. Should I be getting a messenger bag? Am I gonna look like an idiot showing up the first day without a bag of some sort?

I'll be at a V20 satellite that's biz cas, if that matters at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry if this is retarded of me to ask, but I assumed I wouldn't need any sort of bag as a SA. I assumed that SA's probably don't get laptops because they don't really have to take any work home. Should I be getting a messenger bag? Am I gonna look like an idiot showing up the first day without a bag of some sort?

I'll be at a V20 satellite that's biz cas, if that matters at all.
No, you should be good, that is generally a correct assumption. I think I brought work home on one occasion when I was an SA and I just carried it in a Redweld (which is what a lot of associates do anyway). The SAs I've known who've brought messenger bags/backpacks usually did so because they were going to the gym after work.

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:16 pm

You really don't need a bag/briefcase unless you are dragging in your laptop for some reason. I have a laptop case for that purpose when its needed.

That being said, no one really cares what kind of bag you have. If its large or overly fancy, people will probably tease you about the extravagence.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:04 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:It's just as much a messenger bag as a briefcase, i.e. the flap
It's a flapover briefcase. They're very common. They will be mocked (at least at my firm). You might be publicly mocked by a partner at a department meeting and asked what important court case you have going on that requires you to bring a briefcase to work as a summer associate or whether you're having to work late nights and take lots of things home in your briefcase as a summer associate. If you don't care, good, you shouldn't. But I've seen multiple summer associate classes come and go and have seen a few summer associates looking embarrassed and blushing when this gets brought up. It's not kind. The firm attorneys see it as all in good fun. But some SAs take it poorly, so I figured I should give them a heads up, that's all.
I really think this may be some sort of weird quirk specific to your firm. Nobody at mine knows or cares in the slightest what kind of bag anybody has, SA or otherwise.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:06 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
I really think this may be some sort of weird quirk specific to your firm. Nobody at mine knows or cares in the slightest what kind of bag anybody has, SA or otherwise.
Seriously, this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:22 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Seriously, this.
I've heard from folks at other firms in prior threads on this topic that this happens elsewhere too. I'm sure it's not anywhere near universal (and hopefully not even common), but it happens. Regardless, for all I know the folks asking about it in this thread are going to my firm, so a warning about the possibility of ribbing seemed appropriate.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:11 am

I think the issue is taking yourself too seriously as a SA, which I guess carrying a briefcase could be a symptom of, but I don't think it's common for anyone to give a shit about what bag a SA brings to work in and of itself.

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:17 am

I don't really understand when this ribbing would happen? As long as you don't bring the bag on the first day, you're just going to be walking straight to your office. In most cases you won't be interacting with people until afterward.

On the other hand, as an summer, you won't really need a bag. You won't be taking home any work generally and you will have your lunch provided for you every day (if you're smart).

As far as OP's question, wear a suit the first day and gauge what other people are wearing. My impression is that most biglaw firms in NYC are biz casual. Most people generally keep a suit and a clean shirt/tie (or the equivalent for women) in the office just in case something comes up.

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:26 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I think the issue is taking yourself too seriously as a SA, which I guess carrying a briefcase could be a symptom of, but I don't think it's common for anyone to give a shit about what bag a SA brings to work in and of itself.
I think that's probably right, but you don't usually get chill SAs carrying briefcases around, so I think it's taken as indicative of being overeager. To clarify, I don't mean that if you find yourself frequently having to take work/stuff home a lot and you happen to have a briefcase already, that you should carry the stuff and not use the bag in order to appear chill. I just meant that if you show up on your first day with a shiny new brief case despite having no indication that you'll need to use it, you might get teased.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:11 pm

school backpack for gym clothes + bizz casual; can I?

JAYINSD

New

Post by JAYINSD » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:school backpack for gym clothes + bizz casual; can I?
observe and blend in, don't do this the first day you are in the office.

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:17 pm

This is NY step up your game...classy leather gym bag.

JasonSehorn

New

Post by JasonSehorn » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:24 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:
Why not use the gym bag the firm gave you?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:38 pm

JasonSehorn wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:
Because then people on TLS will make fun of you for walking about with a gym bag with the repeating words "CRAVATH, SWAINE & MOORE" stitched on to the bag.

JasonSehorn

New

Post by JasonSehorn » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:42 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:
JasonSehorn wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:
Because then people on TLS will make fun of you for walking about with a gym bag with the repeating words "CRAVATH, SWAINE & MOORE" stitched on to the bag.
Sorry I forgot. They will be the ones corresponding with your firm about whether to give out offers or not. My apologies, please do not use that gym bag.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:36 am

On a tangent, when buying BB Non-Iron shirts for a business casual firm, I'm guessing I should stick with solid/striped/checkered patterns with soft colors (blues, greens, yellows, etc.)?

shouldershoulders

New

Post by shouldershoulders » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:58 pm

Would an SA be mocked for bringing a Filson briefcase to work? I'd like to have a bag to carry headphones, gum, book for the subway, etc.

For reference, it'd be one of these: http://www.filson.com/products/original ... 70256.html

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”