Jumping from small firm to another small firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm?

1. Stick with same firm
No votes
2. Jump to new firm
100%

Total votes: 8

Anonymous User

Jumping from small firm to another small firm

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:38 pm

Considering jumping from small firm to other small firm. Would love any insight from other practicing attorneys.

Background:
Been practicing close to 2 years at a small firm. The new small firm is more prestigious (relatively speaking...I am fully aware it is still small law) and mostly focused on civil defense (not ID). My firm now does more plaintiffs' work. Both are located in a mid-size secondary market. I do not want to burn any bridges, but do want to be best for my career/life (see below about erratic boss). Ideal job would be gov't gig, but seems pretty unlikely that will happen with the current market, my network, and my experience.

Pros/Cons of current firm:

Pros:
(1) I did get about 10k in raises over the first 1.5 years (but it is not lockstep according to several people);
(2) no minimum billable hours as it is a hybrid practice of flat fee, billable hours, and contingency work;
(3) hours are not too crazy: in the office around 7:30, generally leave at 6 or 630. work every Saturday for about 5 hours. Total is around 55-60 hours/week;
(4) although niche area of practice, have learned a decent amount about the civil litigation process;
(5) main partner is older and could retire in the next couple years, which would make it much more bearable (see con #1 below).

Cons:
(1) Insane/erratic boss that berates me almost daily, cusses and chews you out for mistakes he made (I think he is kind of losing it to be honest, he is pretty old now);
(2) practice is niche civil area;
(3) no bonuses. ever;
(4) no chance of partnership - it literally does not exist;
(5) working every single Saturday for half a day is required;
(6) this goes on #4 on the pros - I have learned a decent amount, but I do feel like I have topped out in learning any new skill set as since it is a niche area;
(7) I would be making about 10k more/year at new firm, and partnership is actually a possibility;
(8) no 401(k) offered.

I feel like the new firm would be a step-up, albeit a very small one. My main concern is really that my current firm is a dead-end street career wise as there are no partnership prospects, no retirement, etc. Also, for what it's worth, new firm has two offices, one in another market I would prefer to be in, but I realize this is a long-shot to eventually transfer there. Would be happy to provide anymore info if needed. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Re: Jumping from small firm to another small firm

Post by zombie mcavoy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:44 pm

1l but I don't see any reason why you should stay

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:27 am

zombie mcavoy wrote:1l but I don't see any reason why you should stay
OP here. Those are my thoughts as well, but want to make sure I am not suffering from some "grass is always greener" fantasy.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:31 am

Biglaw associate here: those hours sound sorta brutal. Doesn't sound like anything much is going well for you there. Jump ship.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:03 am

Make the move. Great opportunity to learn the other side of the fence which should make you more valuable to the firm & clients.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rdawkins28

Bronze

Post by rdawkins28 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:05 am

Tiny firm lawyer here. I would jump ship if the people at the new firm appears to fit my personality better (assuming money and opportunities are about the same). It makes work much more enjoyable. The few people I work with, we all get along pretty good, have the same general philosophy in life (though different political ideas on a few issues), go to lunch together, and do social things together once in a while.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:22 am

Change firms
you might want to make a poll

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:28 am

OP here. Appreciate the responses. Added a poll.
rdawkins28 wrote:Tiny firm lawyer here. I would jump ship if the people at the new firm appears to fit my personality better (assuming money and opportunities are about the same). It makes work much more enjoyable. The few people I work with, we all get along pretty good, have the same general philosophy in life (though different political ideas on a few issues), go to lunch together, and do social things together once in a while.
I enjoy most every person I work with EXCEPT my boss, and he is one I have to report to on everything. In fact, he just got through ripping me a new a-hole on Easter weekend as I write this post.

rdawkins28

Bronze

Post by rdawkins28 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Appreciate the responses. Added a poll.
rdawkins28 wrote:Tiny firm lawyer here. I would jump ship if the people at the new firm appears to fit my personality better (assuming money and opportunities are about the same). It makes work much more enjoyable. The few people I work with, we all get along pretty good, have the same general philosophy in life (though different political ideas on a few issues), go to lunch together, and do social things together once in a while.
I enjoy most every person I work with EXCEPT my boss, and he is one I have to report to on everything. In fact, he just got through ripping me a new a-hole on Easter weekend as I write this post.
Wow... I'd jump ship ASAP. Even for less money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:01 pm

OP
rdawkins28 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Appreciate the responses. Added a poll.
Wow... I'd jump ship ASAP. Even for less money.
I am starting to think it is even clearer than I originally thought after today. Now he has me pouring over an entire case file to get out subpoenas so I cannot go home today and see my family. I am starting to feel like I work in BigLaw except I work in shitlaw for not even half the salary. If any 0Ls are reading this thread, do not enroll in law school if you want to have any life outside of work.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:42 pm

Please leave and then post what your asshole boss says when you give notice. Give notice this weekend actually, so e knows that working on easter was the last straw and feels bad.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”