Biglaw -> Counsel for City/County Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PvblivsScipio

Bronze

Biglaw -> Counsel for City/County

Post by PvblivsScipio » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:58 am

I have a potential connection with a lot of power over hiring decisions in a major county. I'm planning on doing biglaw out of school (assuming I get an offer) to pay off dem debts, and I'm not sure the county hires right out of school anyway. I haven't decided what PG I want to be part of. What are the best PGs for trying to basically go in-house for a county or city?

Johann

Diamond

Re: Biglaw -> Counsel for City/County

Post by Johann » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:20 am

Ask your connection

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:45 am

My experience with city / county work is limited, but I'll share my (limited) perspective. The prior experience of attorneys in these offices, and their respective responsibilities, seem to vary dramatically. You should try to research the types of departments in the office of the city / county you have a connection to, and the background of those attorneys.

Although the type of work will vary depending on the jurisdiction and the size / responsibility of the city / county the office represents, more of the work in these offices seems litigation-related than transactional. That said, in one office I know a little about, there are some transactional attorneys, particularly in health care and property law. And, in my estimation, the transactional work seems more interesting. The litigation stuff is often tort-related stuff: law enforcement / injuries on public property, etc.

The above is obviously a very broad, top-down view, and one based on limited experience. The office I am most familiar with seemed to take advantage of their attorneys' prior expertise, while shopping out to outside firms stuff beyond its expertise. I don't know that there's a "best" PG.

PvblivsScipio

Bronze

Post by PvblivsScipio » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:09 am

JohannDeMann wrote:Ask your connection
S/he's not an attorney or familiar with law at all, but has pull over hiring decisions.
Anonymous User wrote:My experience with city / county work is limited, but I'll share my (limited) perspective. The prior experience of attorneys in these offices, and their respective responsibilities, seem to vary dramatically. You should try to research the types of departments in the office of the city / county you have a connection to, and the background of those attorneys.

Although the type of work will vary depending on the jurisdiction and the size / responsibility of the city / county the office represents, more of the work in these offices seems litigation-related than transactional. That said, in one office I know a little about, there are some transactional attorneys, particularly in health care and property law. And, in my estimation, the transactional work seems more interesting. The litigation stuff is often tort-related stuff: law enforcement / injuries on public property, etc.

The above is obviously a very broad, top-down view, and one based on limited experience. The office I am most familiar with seemed to take advantage of their attorneys' prior expertise, while shopping out to outside firms stuff beyond its expertise. I don't know that there's a "best" PG.
Thanks for the insight. My career goals (not working in Biglaw, going in house or local gov't) will influence the Lit/Corp. split decision I'll eventually have to make.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:08 pm

Really depends. Your role could be negotiating contracts with vendors, or defending employment suits, or whatever else. The bigger the entity, the wider variety of legal work it probably does in house, I'd guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”