1L Summer Job dilemma Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Job dilemma

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:35 pm

Hey guys, curious to see what you think in regards to my 2 options for this Summer:

Option A: State agency where I attend school. Although I think the position is sufficient for a 1L experience, I am not too certain that I will be living in this area after I graduate.

Option B: Local agency at my desired geographic location. This would also be sufficient as a 1L summer experience.

To give you a little background: Neither positions are paid, and I go to a regional school. I have heard mixed opinions: some say it's imperative to spend both summers in your desired market if possible (if you attend a regional school), and others say that it doesn't really matter where you spend your 1L summer as long as you have a legal job and then spend your 2L summer in the desired market. Given that neither are paid, it would cost me more to accept the position out of my school's area because I will have to pay for additional rent, transportation etc...because my spouse would remain in our home where I attend school over the summer; essentially this would mean that we are paying 2x the living expenses. Thanks in advance!

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: 1L Summer Job dilemma

Post by BigZuck » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:54 pm

Option B

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:58 pm

BigZuck wrote:Option B
Even for a T14 student, this would be the right answer. For a student of a regional school, it's a total slam dunk. If you want to work long-term outside of the region in which your school is located, you need to do everything you can to create connections in your target market. Summering there as a 1L might not be enough, but it's a start.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:09 pm

OP here. Yea that makes sense. I figured that was the right answer, but i wanted to confirm with some of you gentlemen (or ladies). Thanks for your responses.

Internetdan

New

Post by Internetdan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:11 am

There's no such thing as a 1L summer job dilemma. Everything you do is inconsequential. Go work on a boat or something in Mexico and bang tourists

ditch digger

Bronze

Post by ditch digger » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:23 am

Internetdan wrote:Go work on a boat or something in Mexico and bang tourists
One of my classmates had a job like this prior to law school. I still think he's a bit insane to leave it to become a lawyer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”