Orange County Big Law lifestyle Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Orange County Big Law lifestyle

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:27 pm

I'm posting anon, b/c that's how small the market is. I will be SA'ing at a large firm in OC this summer. Question: how does the QOL compare to other markets. I consciously chose OC, b/c even though it's boring, and I'm young and single, my gut was telling me that it would be more humane than NYC. Specifically, interested in non-ip lit. Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Orange County Big Law lifestyle

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:29 pm

how is OC "boring"?

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:how is OC "boring"?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm posting anon, b/c that's how small the market is. I will be SA'ing at a large firm in OC this summer. Question: how does the QOL compare to other markets. I consciously chose OC, b/c even though it's boring, and I'm young and single, my gut was telling me that it would be more humane than NYC. Specifically, interested in non-ip lit. Thanks
Do they pay NY market? Yes OC is extremely boring and housing is not cheap.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm posting anon, b/c that's how small the market is. I will be SA'ing at a large firm in OC this summer. Question: how does the QOL compare to other markets. I consciously chose OC, b/c even though it's boring, and I'm young and single, my gut was telling me that it would be more humane than NYC. Specifically, interested in non-ip lit. Thanks
I live in OC and I'm not bored at all. And yes most big firms pay NYC market. Same as LA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I live in OC and I'm not bored at all. And yes most big firms pay NYC market. Same as LA.
LOL at most, do you have any evidence? I guess that depends how you define BIG FIRM.

NALP reported that starting pay of $160,000 was still common at the largest firms, but only 40 percent of 700-lawyer firms and larger are paying that rate in Los Angeles and Washington, compared with 90 percent in 2009.

http://www.dailyreportonline.com/id=120 ... z3H137COIU

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:38 pm

Newport Beach peninsula, you won't be bored.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Newport Beach peninsula, you won't be bored.
Yes you will

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:04 pm

OC is only boring if you're bothered by endless suburbs with the closest urban centers being an hour or so away, everything closing at 9:00 pm, having to drive everywhere, paying $90 or so to go to Disneyland, a dearth of mom-and-pop shops, going to open air malls, and... the beach?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:04 pm

Can you not just hang out with smoking hot chicks from Laguna on the beach?

itascot1992

Bronze

Post by itascot1992 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:07 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:Can you not just hang out with smoking hot chicks from Laguna on the beach?
Models and Bottles

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:39 pm

OC is definitely boring for young people. I've lived in OC and LA, and they are night and day. Everything in OC closes early, there are no main nightlife areas, you have to drive a shit ton to get anywhere, and it's just as expensive in living in LA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OC is definitely boring for young people. I've lived in OC and LA, and they are night and day. Everything in OC closes early, there are no main nightlife areas, you have to drive a shit ton to get anywhere, and it's just as expensive in living in LA.
I grew up in Irvine and this guy gets it.

OC is a great place to raise a family, but I think it would suck to live there if your single and in your late 20s/early 30s.

That being said, it depends what's important to your QOL. OC may be "boring" but QOL, esp if you live near the ocean can be pretty great all things considered.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OC is definitely boring for young people. I've lived in OC and LA, and they are night and day. Everything in OC closes early, there are no main nightlife areas, you have to drive a shit ton to get anywhere, and it's just as expensive in living in LA.
I grew up in Irvine and this guy gets it.

OC is a great place to raise a family, but I think it would suck to live there if your single and in your late 20s/early 30s.

That being said, it depends what's important to your QOL. OC may be "boring" but QOL, esp if you live near the ocean can be pretty great all things considered.
Then I rather live in San Diego, La Jolla

ub3r

Bronze

Post by ub3r » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:30 pm

Sounds like San Jose vs San Francisco

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:56 pm

OP here:

1. I'd rather not out whether my firm pays market: some do, many don't
2. If it's alright with you guys, my question was more about billables/work-life balance. I think OC is boring, others don't -- but I would appreciate objective metrics such as whether the workload is lighter than LA/NYC. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here:

1. I'd rather not out whether my firm pays market: some do, many don't
2. If it's alright with you guys, my question was more about billables/work-life balance. I think OC is boring, others don't -- but I would appreciate objective metrics such as whether the workload is lighter than LA/NYC. Thanks!
First, dude you are anon, so you are not outing anyone. Second, billable/ w-l balance is such a firm specific question, no one can help you without knowing the firm name or what type of work you do. But generally any secondary/small market has less workload than NYC/LA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:18 pm

Went to college in Orange County- it's not that bad. It's not that far from LA and in Southern CA you have to drive to go out anyway. Plus there are some little cool spots. Artists' Village in Santa Ana has neat food and bars, Kogi the Korean taco truck is life, being close to the beach is alright. I mean, it is basically the suburbs, but it's still California.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's not that far from LA and in Southern CA you have to drive to go out anyway.
It's very far from LA. I doubt he will be driving to LA on a regular basis while working biglaw hours.

OP - you should message desertlaw. He is an actual biglawyer in OC. I suspect its more humane than NYC, although I've heard some of the offices are complete sweatshops.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Went to college in Orange County- it's not that bad. It's not that far from LA and in Southern CA you have to drive to go out anyway. Plus there are some little cool spots. Artists' Village in Santa Ana has neat food and bars, Kogi the Korean taco truck is life, being close to the beach is alright. I mean, it is basically the suburbs, but it's still California.
Irvine Anon from above.

I pretty much agree with this. OP the best analogy I can make is that Orange County is the "Missionary Position" of California. It's pretty boring and stale, but at the same time it's reliable, nice to look at, and there really aren't any surprises.

As for the BigLaw specific aspects, I'm with the others who have said this will vary wildly by firms and even by practice groups, so its hard to give general firm lifestyle advice

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:17 pm

I am at biglaw OC firm for the past few years. Work/life balance for billable hours is going to depend a lot on your practice group. Generally though, it seems like face-time is not that important in OC, especially after 6 p.m. since everyone goes home to be with kids. But you can still have people billing 2300+.

One thing I would strongly encourage is that you don't live inland of the 405. If you're going to pay the premium to live in southern California, don't live in Irvine/Tustin/Anaheim. Live in Newport or Huntington or Laguna by the water while you're young (which are the most fun parts anyways). You can live by the beach and still be to the office in 15-20 minutes (or you could legitimately walk to work if you live in Corona del Mar and your office is in Fashion Island), something that no other BigLaw city has. Plenty of biglaw attorneys surf a few days a week before work, that is pretty damn cool, even if the nightlife isn't as good as LA.

Feel free to PM me for specific questions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:14 pm

You should try to chill w like LC or whatever

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:42 pm

Rahviveh wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's not that far from LA and in Southern CA you have to drive to go out anyway.
It's very far from LA. I doubt he will be driving to LA on a regular basis while working biglaw hours.

OP - you should message desertlaw. He is an actual biglawyer in OC. I suspect its more humane than NYC, although I've heard some of the offices are complete sweatshops.
Eh, I'm from North Orange County 30 minutes from Downtown LA, so I guess it's all relative. (Actually grew up on the LA/OC border). Not sure where OP's firm is, but driving to LA on the weekends should not be a real problem, even from South Orange County.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:49 pm

baal hadad wrote:You should try to chill w like LC or whatever
come on man you should know better. she moved from laguna to la after she married that usc law dood

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:52 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:
baal hadad wrote:You should try to chill w like LC or whatever
come on man you should know better. she moved from laguna to la after she married that usc law dood
I did know that

I'm sure there are a multitude of equivalents

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”