Things that make men more employable, but not women Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DELG

Gold

Things that make men more employable, but not women

Post by DELG » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:46 pm

Getting engaged: men, slightly more employable, women, no effect

Getting married: men, slightly more employable, women, slightly less employable

Marrying someone with a shitty job: men, much more employable, women, no effect

Having kids: men, significantly more employable, women, significantly less employable

Currently expecting a child: men, employability through the roof, women, unemployable

ymmv

Diamond

Re: Things that make men more employable, but not women

Post by ymmv » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:50 pm

DELG wrote:Getting engaged: men, slightly more employable, women, no effect

Getting married: men, slightly more employable, women, slightly less employable

Marrying someone with a shitty job: men, much more employable, women, no effect

Having kids: men, significantly more employable, women, significantly less employable

Currently expecting a child: men, employability through the roof, women, unemployable
Having had boomer bosses who verbally confirmed every one of these, yup, absofuckinglutely.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:55 pm

m.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/04/why-43-of-women-with-children-leave-their-jobs-and-how-to-get-them-back/275134/

43% of women quit working after having kids.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:56 pm

Maybe that's because employers treat them like shit once they have kids.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:56 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:m.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/04/why-43-of-women-with-children-leave-their-jobs-and-how-to-get-them-back/275134/

43% of women quit working after having kids.
I wonder how often that's because their employers directly or indirectly tell them they should

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:06 pm

Women, do NOT try selling your fiancé in San Fran to move markets. You're just reminding firms you're a woman whose career comes second to the whims of some dude.

catinthewall

Bronze

Post by catinthewall » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:08 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Maybe that's because employers treat them like shit once they have kids.
That and countries that have paid maternity leave have better employment rates among women. See, e.g., Canada; Western Europe.

Also, heard on the local NPR affiliate here in Dallas, for every dollar spent on pre-K, they see a $7 return on investment. Hmm, weird.

catinthewall

Bronze

Post by catinthewall » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:12 pm

DELG wrote:Women, do NOT try selling your fiancé in San Fran to move markets. You're just reminding firms you're a woman whose career comes second to the whims of some dude.
It's a lose-lose situation for women. I divorced my ex-husband my 2L year when he told me to choose between him and my career, and I'm the bitch.

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:14 pm

catinthewall wrote:
DELG wrote:Women, do NOT try selling your fiancé in San Fran to move markets. You're just reminding firms you're a woman whose career comes second to the whims of some dude.
It's a lose-lose situation for women. I divorced my ex-husband my 2L year when he told me to choose between him and my career, and I'm the bitch.
Wow, I had no idea that men still said things like this... Hello 1950s.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:19 pm

How the fuck do female lawyers find jobs in secondary markets?

catinthewall

Bronze

Post by catinthewall » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:21 pm

exitoptions wrote:
catinthewall wrote:
We had met in the military, and he was still in. The military is stuck in the 1950s with how they treat spouses. The wives' clubs are like Stepford. I once got an angry call from Afghanistan because I had pissed the wives' club off so much that they complained to their spouses on deployment. (The reason: I was couldn't join them to go strawberry-picking at 10 am on a Tuesday because I was busy with a murder trial in Indian Country.)

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:24 pm

Maybe if the military didn't encourage troops to marry young to escape shitty barracks housing and getting harassed they wouldn't be such unbelievably shitty spouses.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:26 pm

having a penis: men, more employable, women, some effect?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

catinthewall

Bronze

Post by catinthewall » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:29 pm

bjsesq wrote:Maybe if the military didn't encourage troops to marry young to escape shitty barracks housing and getting harassed they wouldn't be such unbelievably shitty spouses.
We were both officers, so there were no barracks to escape. There's a pay bump (BAH with dependents) when you're married, but it doesn't apply if both spouses are military.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:33 pm

catinthewall wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Maybe if the military didn't encourage troops to marry young to escape shitty barracks housing and getting harassed they wouldn't be such unbelievably shitty spouses.
We were both officers, so there were no barracks to escape. There's a pay bump (BAH with dependents) when you're married, but it doesn't apply if both spouses are military.
*insert post that attacks you as a person for having a commission*
*insert post that talks about my gigantic penis because i was enlisted*
*insert creepy come on*
*fapcry*

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:35 pm

catinthewall wrote: We had met in the military, and he was still in. The military is stuck in the 1950s with how they treat spouses. The wives' clubs are like Stepford. I once got an angry call from Afghanistan because I had pissed the wives' club off so much that they complained to their spouses on deployment. (The reason: I was couldn't join them to go strawberry-picking at 10 am on a Tuesday because I was busy with a murder trial in Indian Country.)

I always had the impression that the military didn't pay well enough -- at least for enlisted -- to create single income households. Anyway, this sounds incredibly terrible and sounds like you made the right choice.

Edit: just noticed you said you were officers.

My wife is a prosecutor, which is her dream job. She moved to a new location for me since I had a job lined up and she didn't yet. I worked every contact to get her interviews. I drove her around the entire state applying to offices and going on interviews until she finally landed the perfect job. I felt so guilty until she got that offer, because I felt that she gave up her career for a time to be with me. It's crazy to me that a man could ask a woman to give it all up permanently and not feel at all guilty.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:19 pm

exitoptions wrote:
catinthewall wrote:
To be fair, my wife told me something similar my 2L year. Basically told me if I passed up the 45-50 hour / week job I had lined up for a biglaw job, she'd divorce me. I didn't think it made her unreasonable, considering that if I took the biglaw job, it would have had massive, direct, negative effects on her. So context matters when it comes to the "choose me or your career" thing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
exitoptions wrote:
catinthewall wrote:
To be fair, my wife told me something similar my 2L year. Basically told me if I passed up the 45-50 hour / week job I had lined up for a biglaw job, she'd divorce me. I didn't think it made her unreasonable, considering that if I took the biglaw job, it would have had massive, direct, negative effects on her. So context matters when it comes to the "choose me or your career" thing.
Which did you choose?

catinthewall

Bronze

Post by catinthewall » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
exitoptions wrote:
catinthewall wrote:
That's true. To give more context, my ex was a Marine pilot, and his airframe flew out of only one location (in North Carolina). On the other hand, I was winning law school, heading to Main Justice as a SLIP (and eventually landed a federal clerkship and DOJ Honors). We were never going to live together, and I was the one in the position where I could have (more easily) turned my back on my career.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:29 pm

Airwing officer? found your problem

catinthewall

Bronze

Post by catinthewall » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:36 pm

encore1101 wrote:Airwing officer? found your problem
Dude, we met in flight school flying jets. It's a better story than Kelly McGillis and Tom Cruise in Top Gun. How many of your couple-friends can say that?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:44 pm

catinthewall wrote:
Dude, we met in flight school flying jets. It's a better story than Kelly McGillis and Tom Cruise in Top Gun. How many of your couple-friends can say that?
I guess everyone still married can beat it but yeah still pretty romantic

catinthewall

Bronze

Post by catinthewall » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:56 pm

DELG wrote:
catinthewall wrote:
Nah, I'm including the end because *spoiler alert* I'm all Claire Underwood at the end. :D

KM2016

Bronze

Post by KM2016 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:58 pm

catinthewall wrote:
DELG wrote:
catinthewall wrote:
Nah, I'm including the end because *spoiler alert* I'm all Claire Underwood at the end. :D

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Why would you leave flying jets to be a lawyer
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”