Advice on delaying acceptances? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Advice on delaying acceptances?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:03 pm

Hi guys. What is the "industry standard" when asking for an extension on accepting an internship offer?
Any advice on how to phrase things to avoid burning any bridges?
Does the amount of extension differ when comparing in-house versus firm versus government offers?

Thank you!

mr.hands

Silver

Re: Advice on delaying acceptances?

Post by mr.hands » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:06 pm

Just tell them that you're in the process of applying for/confirming funding and you need a few days/weeks to secure that before getting back to them. Thank them again, express excitement, and then you're done

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:16 pm

mr.hands wrote:Just tell them that you're in the process of applying for/confirming funding and you need a few days/weeks to secure that before getting back to them. Thank them again, express excitement, and then you're done
This is for a paid internship, so unfortunately funding can't be used as an excuse...

Is it okay to just say that you're waiting to hear back from another offer, would like to compare details before accepting, and will get back to them in a week? I think I'm just overthinking this, but this is my first time with legal internships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:00 pm

posting b/c in same situation and worried I'm gonna end up pissing someone off for leading them on/wasting their time.

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mr.hands wrote:Just tell them that you're in the process of applying for/confirming funding and you need a few days/weeks to secure that before getting back to them. Thank them again, express excitement, and then you're done
This is for a paid internship, so unfortunately funding can't be used as an excuse...

Is it okay to just say that you're waiting to hear back from another offer, would like to compare details before accepting, and will get back to them in a week? I think I'm just overthinking this, but this is my first time with legal internships.
Yes, this is fine. They may not give you an extension, but it is not inappropriate to ask.

k5220

Bronze

Post by k5220 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:46 pm

Avian wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, this is fine. They may not give you an extension, but it is not inappropriate to ask.
You don't have to say you're waiting to hear back from another offer. You can make excuses like needing to figure out your housing situation, you can stall for time by asking for contact information for previous interns, or you can just ask when they need to hear back by / if you could have more time to consider the offer. In any case, it shouldn't hurt to ask.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”