110 hour week Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DELG

Gold

Re: 110 hour week

Post by DELG » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:28 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not sure what the point is in continuing to work in biglaw if it leads you to be in a situation where you have to leave before your kid is awake and then come home after your kid is asleep multiple nights in a row. Unless student loans are literally chaining you to that desk, I just don't see the point, and I know I wouldn't want to be there anymore. But maybe thats just me.
It's not like other, better opportunities grow on trees.
Right. I will leave as soon as I find litigation I want to do in the city I want to be in. And I am looking all the time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:33 pm

DELG wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not sure what the point is in continuing to work in biglaw if it leads you to be in a situation where you have to leave before your kid is awake and then come home after your kid is asleep multiple nights in a row. Unless student loans are literally chaining you to that desk, I just don't see the point, and I know I wouldn't want to be there anymore. But maybe thats just me.
It's not like other, better opportunities grow on trees.
Right. I will leave as soon as I find litigation I want to do in the city I want to be in. And I am looking all the time.
Best of luck. Now seems to be a pretty good market for laterals, at least compared to the last few years. So I'm sure something will open up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
So then why do it?
OP here - that question is kind of the theme of the entire thread. No simple or universal answer it seems.

KidStuddi

Bronze

Post by KidStuddi » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:08 pm

El Pollito wrote:
KidStuddi wrote: I think there is some just genetic component / tolerance component to it too. Some people are utterly fucking useless after 3 drinks. Some people, you wouldn't even know if they're on their 5th drink. As someone who regularly does work while mildly drunk, I certainly hope I fall into the latter category.
Working drunk is like the saddest thing ever. Congrats on being totally oblivious to how shitty your life is.
Eh, I think you're projecting your own dissatisfaction with your choices and outcomes. I suspect you're picturing some downtrodden associate drinking alone in their office on a weekend or something if you think it's the "saddest thing ever" to work while buzzed. In reality, I just put down whatever I'm working on, go out with my friends / SO (often on weeknights) and have a good time and resume whatever work (if any) I feel needs to get done at 11pm-1am or whenever I get home.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:11 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Image
MAsta lets me have some sips of the sunday wine when I do my ROGS.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

wildhaggis

Bronze

Post by wildhaggis » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:31 pm

KidStuddi wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
KidStuddi wrote: I think there is some just genetic component / tolerance component to it too. Some people are utterly fucking useless after 3 drinks. Some people, you wouldn't even know if they're on their 5th drink. As someone who regularly does work while mildly drunk, I certainly hope I fall into the latter category.
Working drunk is like the saddest thing ever. Congrats on being totally oblivious to how shitty your life is.
Eh, I think you're projecting your own dissatisfaction with your choices and outcomes. I suspect you're picturing some downtrodden associate drinking alone in their office on a weekend or something if you think it's the "saddest thing ever" to work while buzzed. In reality, I just put down whatever I'm working on, go out with my friends / SO (often on weeknights) and have a good time and resume whatever work (if any) I feel needs to get done at 11pm-1am or whenever I get home.
And I think you're underestimating the extent to which most normal humans think that working at 1am after spending time with friends/girlfriend fucking sucks.

Also, LOL at the notion that, in biglaw when working late, I would ever have the opportunity to say, "Welp, you guys do you, I'm gonna go out and have a good time with my friends - I'll just finish this up when I get back drunk at 1am." This is fucking absurd. If you're working late, it's for a reason and usually other people are working late too, people who would laugh in your face if you tried to go out while everyone else is heads-down trying to get shit done.
Last edited by wildhaggis on Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:32 pm

Better than being poor though, amirite?

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:28 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Better than being poor though, amirite?
Nah. I think everyone on here would classify me as poor ($150k debt, $50k salary) but I don't think I'd ever lateral to Big Law (if the opportunity presented itself). No amount of money/intellectual stimulation/connections are worth the hell being discussed in this thread. Give me my sanity, my social life, and my health (and my debt for 8-10 years) any day.

To each their own, though. I respect the hell out of my friends grinding it out in Big Law and know their sacrifices will (hopefully) eventually pay off. Just not for me.

ETA: secretary paged me after I burst out laughing at DF's pic. Well done.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:27 pm

AVBucks4239 wrote:
Nah. I think everyone on here would classify me as poor ($150k debt, $50k salary) but I don't think I'd ever lateral to Big Law (if the opportunity presented itself). No amount of money/intellectual stimulation/connections are worth the hell being discussed in this thread. Give me my sanity, my social life, and my health (and my debt for 8-10 years) any day.

To each their own, though. I respect the hell out of my friends grinding it out in Big Law and know their sacrifices will (hopefully) eventually pay off. Just not for me.

Same thoughts here, 140k student loan debt, 70k salary, Gov't. Sometimes I wonder about the money I miss out on, then I remember I have every other Friday off.

But I know a lot of people who have the drive for Big Law and can put in that amount of hours. And, maybe surprisingly, many of them really like their jobs, or at least tell me they do.

. . .. Basically, ditto.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:38 pm

Read a very cool quote related to this today:

"The most dangerous risk of all - The risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later."

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:43 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Read a very cool quote related to this today:

"The most dangerous risk of all - The risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later."
That's pretty fucking retarded

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:44 pm

DELG wrote:

nah. pretty relevant.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Post by smallfirmassociate » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:44 pm

That sounds nice and all, but the flip side of that coin is writing failed novels and whimsically traveling the world, then realizing you're 34 years old, living in some shitty small box in suburban Atlanta, working at a pizza joint and smoking weed with college kids who don't even know the Oasis songs you're playing on the acoustic guitar in a futile attempt to impress them.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:45 pm

DELG wrote:

?

Seems pretty related. Lets go do stuff we really hate for a long time (biglaw) so that maybe when we pay down our loans and make enough money to own a nice house, car, etc etc etc we can afford to do something we actually want (read: Basically anything else).

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:47 pm

I like my job I just want to do like 15% less of it.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:55 pm

smallfirmassociate wrote:

That sounds nice and all, but the flip side of that coin is writing failed novels and whimsically traveling the world, then realizing you're 34 years old, living in some shitty small box in suburban Atlanta, working at a pizza joint and smoking weed with college kids who don't even know the Oasis songs you're playing on the acoustic guitar in a futile attempt to impress them.
I went to law school in my 30s and, except for the part about living in suburban Atlanta and working at a pizza joint, this basically describes my experience during law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:02 pm

Yeah. My cousin actually posted this the other day. 30 yrs old, no boyfriend, no kids, no assets, but has been to every continent. And that's cool and all but someday you have to be a real grown up with a career you're proud of.

I think that quote assumes all jobs are dead end bullshit but the whole point is to carve out something meaningful.

Cogburn87

Bronze

Post by Cogburn87 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:06 pm

DELG wrote: I think that quote assumes all jobs are dead end bullshit but the whole point is to carve out something meaningful.
This is a pretty fair assumption, though, at least with respect to the legal industry.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:09 pm

I don't feel that way.

Cogburn87

Bronze

Post by Cogburn87 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:12 pm

The privilege logs i maintain will echo in eternity

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:18 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:38 pm

AVBucks4239 wrote:

You have your head on straight. Its not worth it. And here I was wondering whether I can jump from biglaw salary to about 60K salary with my 55K in debt. If you can believe that firmly in what you just said given 150K debt and 50K salary, then it really says something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:41 pm

The choice was never biglaw or living in a box. Even those in seemingly less desirable legal positions still can make an entirely comfortable living. Sure, they won't have the same cars, houses, vacations, or anything like that. But as we've been saying all along, for many people, ability to see family, enjoy life and personal time, find balance, etc. doesn't mean being in destitute poverty.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:47 pm

at least for me, it's not about the money. i keep going to my job every day to keep doing the work i am doing. if i could get similar work to keep progressing professionally for slightly less hours i would do it for almost any salary. biglaw is like a PhD program with really shitty advisors.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”