merits of a state trial court clerkship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
depth charge

New

merits of a state trial court clerkship

Post by depth charge » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:53 pm

i know this is a highly contextual question, but i'd like to hear thoughts particularly from those who have state trial court clerking experience. the question: would it be a prudent professional move to accept a state trial court clerkship?

i've got a few years of small firm civil litigation experience and am considering clerking at the state circuit court level for a well-respected judge in the state's largest county.

long term, i want to be a civil litigator practicing within the state the clerkship is in, and very likely within the same county.

the cut in salary is $30,000 annually, and it'd be a 2-year commitment. i envision returning to private practice litigation after 2 years. that'd put me at ~6 years out of law school. i know the prestige of a state circuit court clerkship is slim to none, but i'd ideally be able to transition to a large firm (i have t14 credentials, but middling academic performance).

the experience i'm getting at my current firm is neither bad nor particularly good. it's a bit too generalist, though i am litigating. i am eager to either move to another firm with more opportunities or take this clerkship.

what do you guys think?

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Re: merits of a state trial court clerkship

Post by lawschoolftw » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:43 pm

depth charge wrote:i know this is a highly contextual question, but i'd like to hear thoughts particularly from those who have state trial court clerking experience. the question: would it be a prudent professional move to accept a state trial court clerkship?

i've got a few years of small firm civil litigation experience and am considering clerking at the state circuit court level for a well-respected judge in the state's largest county.

long term, i want to be a civil litigator practicing within the state the clerkship is in, and very likely within the same county.

the cut in salary is $30,000 annually, and it'd be a 2-year commitment. i envision returning to private practice litigation after 2 years. that'd put me at ~6 years out of law school. i know the prestige of a state circuit court clerkship is slim to none, but i'd ideally be able to transition to a large firm (i have t14 credentials, but middling academic performance).

the experience i'm getting at my current firm is neither bad nor particularly good. it's a bit too generalist, though i am litigating. i am eager to either move to another firm with more opportunities or take this clerkship.

what do you guys think?
Out of context, I'm not sure this is a great move. Generally speaking, state trial clerkships carry little prestige and the only way it would get you into a big firm is if the judge has connections him/herself and was willing to put in a word for you. I can't imagine a big firm looking at someone who's been out of school six years, with two of those years being a state trial court clerkship, being interested per se because of the clerkship. You would effectively be a senior associate, without senior associate experience.

Another thing worth noting, and this varies by court/judge, but trial-level clerkships at the state level can involve more administrative work than substantive legal work. I have a friend doing one and she spends most of her day preparing form orders, prepping the docket etc. It's not the same kind of substantive experience you get from a Fed. D. Ct. clerkship. If you want biglaw, I'd look to lateral from where you are now, rather than spending two years clerking.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”