Finance Internship for 1L Summer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Finance Internship for 1L Summer?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:56 pm

Median 1L at T14 here.

I know the common wisdom is that it doesn't matter what you do 1L summer, as long as its legal. Well I'm in the second round for a summer position in finance at one of the big investment banks in my secondary market. If I take it, will it hurt me in OCI? Does it matter if it's a position in I-Banking or personal wealth management?

TYIA

Edit: For spelling

Anonymous User

Re: Finance Internship for 1L Summer?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:58 pm

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:01 pm

Last edited by lawlorbust on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stargate101

New

Post by stargate101 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:10 pm

I did this. PM me if you want to talk about it since I would prefer not to put my personal information here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:51 am

bump for the night/tomorrow crowd?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:03 am

I strongly considered doing this (was doing interview prep), but was advised not to. Here is the advice I was given by CSO/lawyers:

-Don't do this if you want to practice Biglaw. It may put a red flag on your resume that shows you may take a IB job over law. That's especially worrisome for law firms because IB interviews are after OCI and you might renege.
-If you do an IB internship, try to pair it with a small legal internship as well. That's what I was told, but depending on your IB job, you probably won't have any time at all to even do a RA job.

My advice:
-If you want to do IB, go for it. If you can get an internship this summer and then next summer, you'll go in as an associate and will make more than the all the top kids in your class by a lot and you won't be at the very, very bottom of the totem pole. You'll get to boss around the analysts!

I decided against it because I want to be a lawyer in the long run, but talk to bankers and lawyers to really figure out what you want to do. I was frustrated I had to figure it out so soon.

Banking hours are way worse than law, but it's probably slightly more interesting. Also, bankers get way better meal perks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:42 pm

Bump:

New Poster:

I'm in final rounds for a f500 corp dev(finance, m&a role.) Any insight if that will have an effect on OCI next year for transactional firms? I'm not sure if I want to pursue the legal track or do finance.

I have a side job(legal) I can do, so that aspect will be fine.

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Post by iliketurtles123 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:56 pm

Is this for PWM? I know a couple people who did PwM during 1L summer. Didn't seem to affect their OCI, since they're all going biglaw 2L summer (though I don't know to what extent they were asked about this during the interviews and how they responded)

Eric45

New

Post by Eric45 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:21 am

Banned for Spamming

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”