List class rank by range or actual %? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

List class rank by range or actual %?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:46 pm

Rankings came out today and I'm at 22/130. So I'm still within the 20% but since I moved up slightly and I want to indicate that on my resume. Since I'm technically at 16.9% should I put that (or just 17%), or change it to "within top 15-20%"?

Because so many employers are posting positions on Symplicity that say "must be within top 15%," I'd like to indicate that I'm damn close and my extracurriculars as well as past experience should make up for being literally 2 students behind the actual 15%.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: List class rank by range or actual %?

Post by rpupkin » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rankings came out today and I'm at 22/130. So I'm still within the 20% but since I moved up slightly and I want to indicate that on my resume. Since I'm technically at 16.9% should I put that (or just 17%), or change it to "within top 15-20%"?

Because so many employers are posting positions on Symplicity that say "must be within top 15%," I'd like to indicate that I'm damn close and my extracurriculars as well as past experience should make up for being literally 2 students behind the actual 15%.
I wouldn't put down "within top 15-20%"; I think that looks worse than "top 20%." And definitely don't put down "top 16.9%," which looks ridiculous.

I would just put down that you're ranked 22/130.

Anonymous User

Re: List class rank by range or actual %?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:14 pm

I was a little over the 5% cut off so I put Top 6% on my resume because it just looked a lot a lot better than the actual ranking. I don't know how helpful it was but it landed me a clerkship lol. so IMO, your actual ranking or 17% seems to be your best option here.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”