Foreign Law Degree + LLM = biglaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BrooklynLaw16

Bronze

Foreign Law Degree + LLM = biglaw?

Post by BrooklynLaw16 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:10 pm

My friend is a graduating LLM, and she wants to know if biglaw is a realistic career path. She has a degree called "master of laws" from Russia, and a general LLM. GPA for the law degree was 3.6, and the LLM is all pass/fail.

She is fluent in Russian and English, and has worked for a few law and business firms in a translating capacity.

Is biglaw with this background a realistic prospect? If so, how would one achieve biglaw with this background, besides networking and mass mailing?

Anonymous User

Re: Foreign Law Degree + LLM = biglaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:17 pm

lot of it depends on the school. Cleary likes bilingual associates and they represent the Russian government/entities I think. Maybe she should hit them up.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: Foreign Law Degree + LLM = biglaw?

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:45 pm

This is common. I've seen it more with Latin American and Chinese lawyers but I bet someone would find a Russian lawyer valuable. Probably helps to practice first in Russia before doing the LLM though.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”