2l with no job yet- not hearing back from anywhere Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2l with no job yet- not hearing back from anywhere

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:20 pm

I'm a 2l with no job yet. I've been applying to a lot of places, mostly in-house.
Out of the 50 apps I sent out this month alone, I've yet to hear back from one place.

is the process much slower right now? Will they trickle in later on? Or is it just extremely competitive?

FYI T14 median, but with grade decline (about half these places don't ask for transcript so I don't see how my grades can be much of a factor)

Avian

Bronze

Re: 2l with no job yet- not hearing back from anywhere

Post by Avian » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 2l with no job yet. I've been applying to a lot of places, mostly in-house.
Out of the 50 apps I sent out this month alone, I've yet to hear back from one place.

is the process much slower right now? Will they trickle in later on? Or is it just extremely competitive?

FYI T14 median, but with grade decline (about half these places don't ask for transcript so I don't see how my grades can be much of a factor)
I'm not sure what the hiring cycle is like for these places, are they still hiring? Also correct me if I'm wrong, but 50 apps doesn't sound like nearly enough. I sent out 80+ applications to federal judges for 1L summer and I only heard back from 3 of them and that's for an unpaid position that's not nearly as competitive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:50 pm

Avian wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 2l with no job yet. I've been applying to a lot of places, mostly in-house.

I'm not sure what the hiring cycle is like for these places, are they still hiring? Also correct me if I'm wrong, but 50 apps doesn't sound like nearly enough. I sent out 80+ applications to federal judges for 1L summer and I only heard back from 3 of them and that's for an unpaid position that's not nearly as competitive.
50 for this month (so the past 2 weeks).
I've been mass mailing since July/August of last year at a higher rate. I've slowed down since it affected my grades last semester

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:45 pm

A lot of in house places don't hire 2Ls. Are you applying to places that have done so in the past? Or are you just throwing out random apps? Also, what industries are you applying to? And what is your school/grades situation? All relevant.

Like Avian said, 50 isn't that much, though. I applied to hundreds of firms before OCI 2L year, and only a handful responded at all (and almost all of those were just straight dings).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”