Declining publication offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Declining publication offer

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:34 am

My LR/Journal is announcing publication decisions in about a month. I have been thinking that if my submission is selected for publication, I may decline for a couple of reasons that are irrelevant to this post. My main question is, is this common? Is there a tactful way to convey on one's resume that he/she was selected for publication but declined (I'm at a TT, it would be nice to show my summer firm that I was good enough to be selected)? Are there any possible negatives that could creep up down the road? Thanks.

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Declining publication offer

Post by romothesavior » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:44 am

If you plan to look for a job soon, particularly a clerkship, accept. If not, there isn't much harm in declining.

I was chosen for LR publication and accepted, but we had some serious issues with our EIC that led to major delays in our publication schedule. (I was supposed to be published in January but that issue got published like six months later in July.) By that time it was clear I had struck out on clerkships, I realized I didn't want to study for the bar while prepping my note, so I withdrew it. I thought the E Board would be mad but they were understanding given the mess our EIC created, and ultimately someone else who really wanted it got published.

The only regret I have is that less than a year later SCOTUS adopted the exact position I advocated for. Would have been a cool talking point if I ever went for another job or clerkship, but otherwise no regrets about pulling it. Hasn't affected me at all in practice.

Briney Spring Gun

New

Post by Briney Spring Gun » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:00 am

romothesavior wrote:If you plan to look for a job soon, particularly a clerkship, accept. If not, there isn't much harm in declining.

I was chosen for LR publication and accepted, but we had some serious issues with our EIC that led to major delays in our publication schedule. (I was supposed to be published in January but that issue got published like six months later in July.) By that time it was clear I had struck out on clerkships, I realized I didn't want to study for the bar while prepping my note, so I withdrew it. I thought the E Board would be mad but they were understanding given the mess our EIC created, and ultimately someone else who really wanted it got published.

The only regret I have is that less than a year later SCOTUS adopted the exact position I advocated for. Would have been a cool talking point if I ever went for another job or clerkship, but otherwise no regrets about pulling it. Hasn't affected me at all in practice.
Did you ever convey the situation/information to your employer? If so, how?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:26 am

It was on my resume as "anticipated publication" while I was planning to be published. I took it off when I withdrew.

You either get published or you don't. You don't decline publication and forego the extra work and then try to reap the benefits of publication. I suppose you can tell them if you're point blank asked, but don't try to shop around the fact you were selected but declined.

Patent2014

New

Post by Patent2014 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:26 am

romothesavior wrote:It was on my resume as "anticipated publication" while I was planning to be published. I took it off when I withdrew.

You either get published or you don't. You don't decline publication and forego the extra work and then try to reap the benefits of publication. I suppose you can tell them if you're point blank asked, but don't try to shop around the fact you were selected but declined.
agree with this. I would see it as a red flag to indicate that on your resume. It's like going around telling everyone, "Partner X asked me to help out on the big X case, but I declined." I'd see that as less of a "wow this person must be good" and more of a "why does this person turn down good opportunities? and why tell everyone about it?"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:17 am

Patent2014 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:It was on my resume as "anticipated publication" while I was planning to be published. I took it off when I withdrew.

agree with this. I would see it as a red flag to indicate that on your resume. It's like going around telling everyone, "Partner X asked me to help out on the big X case, but I declined." I'd see that as less of a "wow this person must be good" and more of a "why does this person turn down good opportunities? and why tell everyone about it?"
Yeah when you put it like that, it sounds unprofessional.

Patent2014

New

Post by Patent2014 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Patent2014 wrote:

Yeah when you put it like that, it sounds unprofessional.
I'd still feel really proud if you were offered publication. Obviously law firms really value strong writing skills, so I'd try to find some way of showing that to employers, whether it be trying to publish someone else, using it as a writing sample, or volunteering early on as a SA or Assoc. to do some writing on the side, like writing a client brief on a changing area of law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”