USAO Background Check Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

USAO Background Check Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:21 am

Can anyone provide some info about the USAO background check? I have a public intoxication arrest that I'm not sure will disqualify me from working as a 1L this summer. Also, is there a drug test? I haven't smoked weed in years, but I am constantly around people that do and don't know if that would come up in any possible drug tests. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: USAO Background Check Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:03 am

bumpity bump bump. anyone? sorry, i just have an interview coming up and am wondering if I'm screwed or not

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:bumpity bump bump. anyone? sorry, i just have an interview coming up and am wondering if I'm screwed or not
They won't piss test you at the interview. But if you want to work with a federal prosecutor, probably a good idea to ask your friends to stop smoking around you. As for the public intoxication, just disclose it. If that's all it is it won't keep you out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:18 am

I worked at a USAO in a secondary market. There was a piss test. A couple months after I got the job (and the clearance process began), I got a call from the FBI stating that I needed to go take a test at a local clinic (they told me where to go) within 48 hours.

Being around people won't show up on a drug test unless you're in a confined space for several hours. However, better safe than sorry. Try to avoid that if you can.

Worth noting that I also had to provide a longer drug history than the 1-year that's common at some major USAOs. I had smoked weed years prior on a semi-regular basis. My clearance took longer than usual, but I got it eventually.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:I worked at a USAO in a secondary market. There was a piss test. A couple months after I got the job (and the clearance process began), I got a call from the FBI stating that I needed to go take a test at a local clinic (they told me where to go) within 48 hours.

Being around people won't show up on a drug test unless you're in a confined space for several hours. However, better safe than sorry. Try to avoid that if you can.

Worth noting that I also had to provide a longer drug history than the 1-year that's common at some major USAOs. I had smoked weed years prior on a semi-regular basis. My clearance took longer than usual, but I got it eventually.
That must have been for an actual AUSA position. For summer interns, there's no piss test, but they may ask for your drug history for the last 7 years. Minor drug use will probably not disqualify you as long as it was not within the last year and was sporadic.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:12 am

Thanks for the responses. Will a public intoxication arrest bar me from clearance? It happened like 6 months ago...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the responses. Will a public intoxication arrest bar me from clearance? It happened like 6 months ago...
You may have to write a detailed explanation for it. I had an underage drinking ticket from years ago and had to do same. I did eventually get cleared, but it took longer than normal. This being more recent, yours may take longer and no one can say for sure, but I would not think a PI would be something to hinder you from clearance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:22 pm

okay thanks, I'm being a bit neurotic about it all. and i hate how USAO makes someone decide relatively quickly (before my school's spring OCI) so it's kind of an all or nothing commitment

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I worked at a USAO in a secondary market. There was a piss test. A couple months after I got the job (and the clearance process began), I got a call from the FBI stating that I needed to go take a test at a local clinic (they told me where to go) within 48 hours.

That must have been for an actual AUSA position. For summer interns, there's no piss test, but they may ask for your drug history for the last 7 years. Minor drug use will probably not disqualify you as long as it was not within the last year and was sporadic.
Quoted user. This was for a 1L position.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”