Logistics of Non-OCI; OCI-type interviews Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Logistics of Non-OCI; OCI-type interviews

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:23 pm

How common is it for students to obtain an OCI-like screener interview from a firm that doesnt do OCI at their school? (lets say a t3 student w/ very high rank reaches out for an interview)

Also, would it be inappropriate/forward to send also a copy of your unofficial transcript along (proof of the grades)?

Additionally, would it be obnoxious to somehow fix your GPA into your cover letter (lets say its a 4.0) in order to have them jump at them?

Appreciate any help.

MKC

Diamond

Re: Logistics of Non-OCI; OCI-type interviews

Post by MKC » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:25 pm

What you're talking about sounds like mass mailing, and it is absolutely appropriate. Putting your 4.0 GPA in the cover letter sounds like a winner too. There's really no reason to compare this to OCI. You're just trying to get an interview, and you should be in good shape with those grades. Good luck!

Oh, and no need to provide a transcript. If they want it, they'll ask for it.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:53 pm

Pft...forget about the cover letter, I'd probably put the 4.0 in the subject line of the e-mail you send to the recruiter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:58 pm

hoos89 wrote:Pft...forget about the cover letter, I'd probably put the 4.0 in the subject line of the e-mail you send to the recruiter.
Wait, you joking?

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:07 pm

Well...don't forget the cover letter; do have "4.0" conspicuously placed in the subject line (if true). Put your best foot forward. Being at a TTT means you have an uphill climb so you have to do your best to get the recruiter to open the e-mail.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:19 pm

You could honestly write "2L with 4.0 GPA from SCHOOL Application for Summer Association Position" and be fine.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:21 pm

I try to keep it a little shorter. Probably don't put TTT school name in there. "2L SA Application - 4.0 GPA" or something would probably work. Subject line is all about making the recruiter actually look at your application. Pique interest. Do not give him/her a reason not to look.
Last edited by hoos89 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:22 pm

"4.0 GPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OPEN FOR DETAILS"

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:28 pm

I'm a little surprised with the "put 4.0 in subject line" responses. I think it's gonna come off as douchey. Just make it clear in the subject line that it's an employment inquiry for a SA and in the body (as part of a cover letter) I would note your gpa.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:28 pm

fats provolone wrote:"4.0 GPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OPEN FOR DETAILS"
LAW STUDENTS HATE HIM!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:21 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:I'm a little surprised with the "put 4.0 in subject line" responses. I think it's gonna come off as douchey. Just make it clear in the subject line that it's an employment inquiry for a SA and in the body (as part of a cover letter) I would note your gpa.

Why? The person's job is to sift through hundreds (thousands?) of applicants for the same position. It would be douchey to make it your Facebook status, but you want this person to see your GPA. Why just put some generic subject line that will blend in with every one else? Is there a chance that some recruiters will be off put by it? Sure, I guess, but I think the possible benefits of standing out outweigh that risk.

When I was applying I put "top 5%" in my subject line and had really good results (I do not go to a T14). This process is all about marketing yourself. Don't sell yourself short for fear of coming across as douchey. Sure you can go too far, but I don't think putting your top selling point in the subject crosses that line.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawschoolftw wrote:I'm a little surprised with the "put 4.0 in subject line" responses. I think it's gonna come off as douchey. Just make it clear in the subject line that it's an employment inquiry for a SA and in the body (as part of a cover letter) I would note your gpa.

Why? The person's job is to sift through hundreds (thousands?) of applicants for the same position. It would be douchey to make it your Facebook status, but you want this person to see your GPA. Why just put some generic subject line that will blend in with every one else? Is there a chance that some recruiters will be off put by it? Sure, I guess, but I think the possible benefits of standing out outweigh that risk.

When I was applying I put "top 5%" in my subject line and had really good results (I do not go to a T14). This process is all about marketing yourself. Don't sell yourself short for fear of coming across as douchey. Sure you can go too far, but I don't think putting your top selling point in the subject crosses that line.
OP here. Thanks guys. I def will likely put it - however I hope I did not ginx myself. Only half way there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:08 am

Don't put it in the subject line. People love to talk about how many of these sorts of emails recruiters receive, but I find it really hard to believe that that number is so high that a large number of recruiters, job duties notwithstanding, are simply unable or unwilling to open the email and read it. On the other hand, if they like your resume and want to interview you (which I bet they will), odds are that your email is getting forwarded beyond just the initial recruiter, and it would be a shame if it ends up in the hands of a lawyer who just finds it kind of tacky.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Don't put it in the subject line. People love to talk about how many of these sorts of emails recruiters receive, but I find it really hard to believe that that number is so high that a large number of recruiters, job duties notwithstanding, are simply unable or unwilling to open the email and read it. On the other hand, if they like your resume and want to interview you (which I bet they will), odds are that your email is getting forwarded beyond just the initial recruiter, and it would be a shame if it ends up in the hands of a lawyer who just finds it kind of tacky.
How is that hard to believe? I promise you that plenty of those get skimmed at best, and I think you're overestimating the chances that random TTT applicant will be taken seriously enough for the recruiter to even see the 4.0 part if it's buried in the cover letter. I don't see the problem with trying to make yourself stand out a bit. Also, I think your risk analysis is a bit off primarily because this would be done on a large scale (hundreds of firms). If someone at a handful of firms is put off by it, it won't really matter in the grand scheme of things if the subject line garners your application more attention at other firms. I seriously think you're overestimating how tacky this would come across: after all it's being done in the context of the recruiting process. I also find it weird that you think that all applications are being thoroughly reviewed.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:22 pm

My mass mail subject line was "U.Chicago 1L/2L Summer Associate Application" because I knew my school would make them more likely to open it. I think you absolutely should have the 4.0 in the subject line for the same reason. I'd do like "Shit State 4.0 GPA 1L Summer Associate Application"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:30 pm

2014 wrote:My mass mail subject line was "U.Chicago 1L/2L Summer Associate Application" because I knew my school would make them more likely to open it. I think you absolutely should have the 4.0 in the subject line for the same reason. I'd do like "Shit State 4.0 GPA 1L Summer Associate Application"
Thanks everyone. This seems to be the majority opinion

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”