Bar Reimbursements Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bar Reimbursements

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:56 pm

All --

Working at a firm who has requested we send a one-time bar reimbursement request.

So far I've paid for the bar application and the MPRE. BarBri bills directly to my firm. Should I expect more things? Or can I go ahead and get reimbursed now? Basically I'm not in a financial position to give a $1k+ loan where I can my firm until September.

Basically--if you can think of anything else bar-related I'll have to pay, let me know.

--
Posting in employment because it's related and not all firms function this way and I'd rather not have any outing info tied to my account. Mods, if you take issue please delete rather than outing.

shock259

Gold

Re: Bar Reimbursements

Post by shock259 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:51 pm

Wait - so you already took the bar exam? Or are you taking it in July?

Once you pass the exam, there's an admission fee. In NY, it was $375 last year. Also, some firms will pay for your hotel/transportation to the bar exam itself. I also had my firm pay for my bar application mailings because I'm cheap.

Think that's about it.

Will they really only reimburse you once? That's kind of ridiculous.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:10 pm

shock259 wrote:Wait - so you already took the bar exam? Or are you taking it in July?

Once you pass the exam, there's an admission fee. In NY, it was $375 last year. Also, some firms will pay for your hotel/transportation to the bar exam itself. I also had my firm pay for my bar application mailings because I'm cheap.

Think that's about it.

Will they really only reimburse you once? That's kind of ridiculous.
Taking in July, but I had to pay a $1000 application fee and another $100 for the MPRE. When your budget is $2000/semester for food/entertainment, it cuts a pretty big hole. Maybe I should just submit for reimbursement and then submit the $375 for reimbursement after the bar?

Thanks for the help.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:13 pm

No way they turn you down, they are just asking for administrative convenience. If you don't expect any more costs in the near future I'd do it now and if expenses arise later do your best to aggregate those.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:30 pm

Two things: 1) who told you that you had to submit it all at once?, and 2) what kind of firm is this?

If it's a national firm, just submit it now and submit the others later. You're creating literally 5 minutes of work for some payroll person. They'll get over it. If it's a solo shop and the only attorney told you do it that way, then god knows you should listen.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”