Mention Writing Sample Grade in Cover Letter Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Germaine

New

Mention Writing Sample Grade in Cover Letter

Post by Germaine » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:42 pm

I'm using my Legal Writing final assignment as a writing sample. It got a high honors grade (limited number given out), but it doesn't appear on our transcript b/c we don't get LW grades until Spring. In the close of my cover letter, do I say I'm including this writing sample, which received high honors -- or is that incredibly tacky?

Thanks.

kaiser

Gold

Re: Mention Writing Sample Grade in Cover Letter

Post by kaiser » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:56 pm

Don't mention that. If the writing sample is that good, it will be apparent from reading it.

Germaine

New

Post by Germaine » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:13 pm

kaiser wrote:Don't mention that. If the writing sample is that good, it will be apparent from reading it.
Got it. Thanks.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:17 pm

Germaine wrote:I'm using my Legal Writing final assignment as a writing sample. It got a high honors grade (limited number given out), but it doesn't appear on our transcript b/c we don't get LW grades until Spring. In the close of my cover letter, do I say I'm including this writing sample, which received high honors -- or is that incredibly tacky?

Thanks.
Get your Legal Writing instructor to write a letter of rec. He/She can say that your assignment was one of of the best in the class.

Germaine

New

Post by Germaine » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:19 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Germaine wrote:I'm using my Legal Writing final assignment as a writing sample. It got a high honors grade (limited number given out), but it doesn't appear on our transcript b/c we don't get LW grades until Spring. In the close of my cover letter, do I say I'm including this writing sample, which received high honors -- or is that incredibly tacky?

Thanks.
Get your Legal Writing instructor to write a letter of rec. He/She can say that your assignment was one of of the best in the class.
That's a good idea. Several of the jobs do not want letters, so I was thinking in terms of those I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:21 pm

Germaine wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Thanks.
That's a good idea. Several of the jobs do not want letters, so I was thinking in terms of those I guess.
Really? So the job posting says something like "please do not submit letters of recommendation"?

Germaine

New

Post by Germaine » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:25 pm

rpupkin wrote: Really? So the job posting says something like "please do not submit letters of recommendation"?
Sort of? It's done via Symplicity, and so our upload options are forced by the employer. No letters of rec, and they specifically said no email submissions, etc.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:28 pm

I would just have a cover page on the writing sample and write it on there. I don't personally think it's tacky, depending on phrasing. As long as you don't gush about how amazing it was I don't think it's going to matter.

TBH though, it probably won't matter much either way. Do people actually read writing samples?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:36 pm

Not sure. I know someone who received the highest grade on both major LRW assignments & noted it on his/her resume with great results; nevertheless, simply receiving a high grade in a LRW sample might not be enough to note on a cover letter because it is not a major accomplishment. In your case, it might be better just to let your work "speak for itself."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:39 pm

I think it's fine/worth it to put the grade on the cover sheet (when it's good).

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:51 pm

To be blunt: It's not tacky, but it it may generate laughter. Don't do it.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:53 pm

i would have a cover sheet on the writing sample that says what class you wrote it for, that it has not been edited by anyone besides you, and what grade you received

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:00 pm

In my opinion, the real issue is whether or not the reader likes your writing style, not whether or not you received a high grade on the paper. A high grade on a piece deemed by the reader to be of only average quality might raise additional questions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:07 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:In my opinion, the real issue is whether or not the reader likes your writing style, not whether or not you received a high grade on the paper. A high grade on a piece deemed by the reader to be of only average quality might raise additional questions.
Yeah, but, as a previous poster suggested, employers sometimes don't bother reading writing samples. I suspect this is especially true for 1L summer hiring. An employer will, however, have time to read that the applicant got a top grade in a legal writing class.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:38 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:In my opinion, the real issue is whether or not the reader likes your writing style, not whether or not you received a high grade on the paper. A high grade on a piece deemed by the reader to be of only average quality might raise additional questions.
I don't think this is going to happen. Grade on cover sheet is totally fine. It's a perfectly reasonable accomplishment to note, and it gives the reader some kind of context for performance within the artificial constraints of a LRW assignment.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:40 pm

Based on what ? Regardless, it's obvious that opinions differ. If the firm asked for a writing sample, then that's what they want--otherwise the firm would have requested your LRW grade or grades to date.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:48 pm

Or employers figure you submit a writing sample with a cover sheet explaining stuff about it. Telling someone you're submitting a writing sample to how that sample was assessed isn't a weird thing to do.

(Based on my experience job searching, anyway. What is your opinion based on?)

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:49 pm

It's clear that we disagree on this point. It's not worth any further debate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”