DF Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Desert Fox

Diamond

Proof Biglaw Sucks

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:05 pm

4th years make 275k

leave to make GS 13 at rando government agency and never looks back.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

bl1nds1ght

Bronze

Re: Proof Biglaw Sucks

Post by bl1nds1ght » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:4th years make 275k

Are you saying that's a desirable outcome? I don't know much about government pay scales.

Would you qualify for PSLF even if you started out in the private sector?

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:23 pm

bl1nds1ght wrote:

Are you saying that's a desirable outcome? I don't know much about government pay scales.

Yes it is a desireable outcome. Going from 275k to 85k. People are ecstatic.

TTTooKewl

New

Post by TTTooKewl » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:23 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bl1nds1ght wrote:

Yes it is a desireable outcome. Going from 275k to 85k. People are ecstatic.
Mo money mo problems

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:24 pm

they just want to give back through civil service

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:26 pm

if your logic is "sure its a 200k a year paycut but they forgive your debt after 10 years!"

think about what that says about the cost of law school

lapolicia

Bronze

Post by lapolicia » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:20 pm

As a fourth year from biglaw you'd almost definitely get a higher level GS-14 (closer to 120-130k). If you're getting a 13 step 1 you're doing it wrong. Still a huge pay cut though but with government hours, benefits, and loan forgiveness it makes a lot of sense.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:22 pm

lapolicia wrote:As a fourth year from biglaw you'd almost definitely get a higher level GS-14 (closer to 120-130k). If you're getting a 13 step 1 you're doing it wrong. Still a huge pay cut though.
This. Also, a lot of people go firm -> government -> firm, and not just from the SEC or DoJ, often with the return as a partner or counsel tested for becoming partner, so it can be valuable as a career move aside from the easier hours. (Though, don't underestimate hours in government too much.)

gulcregret

Bronze

Post by gulcregret » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:23 pm

Worked in both and honestly the only difference for me was that people in government generally don't expect you to work on the weekends despite deadlines approaching. Admittedly I am not in NY so maybe that's why so many people on here hate biglaw. Or does everyone just work for that insane partner at the firm?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cogburn87

Bronze

Post by Cogburn87 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:29 pm

Or maybe they're actually right and biglaw is generally shit everywhere

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:31 pm

gulcregret wrote:Worked in both and honestly the only difference for me was that people in government generally don't expect you to work on the weekends despite deadlines approaching. Admittedly I am not in NY so maybe that's why so many people on here hate biglaw. Or does everyone just work for that insane partner at the firm?
Lol even if that were the only difference it seems like a huge fucking difference.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:33 pm

gulcregret wrote:Worked in both and honestly the only difference for me was that people in government generally don't expect you to work on the weekends despite deadlines approaching. Admittedly I am not in NY so maybe that's why so many people on here hate biglaw. Or does everyone just work for that insane partner at the firm?
yea i'm in LA and weekends are sacred here. we had a brief due monday and 5:00pm sharp on friday the partners were like "let's wrap it up guys, if it's not perfect yet it's not gonna get any better over the weekend" lol @ those NYC fools.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:33 pm

My professor took a 90% pay cut to start teaching law. That's how bad biglaw sucks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:35 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:My professor took a 90% pay cut to start teaching law. That's how bad biglaw sucks.
I would take a pay cut too after saving a couple mill.. easy decision

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:35 pm

No guis they are only taking a 60% paycut. Sooo all better.

Wahoos

New

Post by Wahoos » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:37 pm

Desert Fox was a pretty miserable dude as a law student... does it surprise anyone he is even more miserable in big law? We all know it's a step up in misery. Thanks for the pointless thread!

EDIT to clarify: Not as a person in real life, but I mean as a user of this forum
Last edited by Wahoos on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:38 pm

Wahoos wrote:Desert Fox was a pretty miserable dude as a law student... does it surprise anyone he is even more miserable in big law? We all know it's a step up in misery. Thanks for the pointless thread!
lol this is promising

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

utahraptor

Gold

Post by utahraptor » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:38 pm

Wahoos wrote:Desert Fox was a pretty miserable dude as a law student... does it surprise anyone he is even more miserable in big law? We all know it's a step up in misery. Thanks for the pointless thread!
drama

please expound

gulcregret

Bronze

Post by gulcregret » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:39 pm

Cogburn87 wrote:Or maybe they're actually right and biglaw is generally shit everywhere
All these people complaining about hating their jobs but still have time to post on a message board and make $600/day. Biglaw is not shit in DC at least not in my practice area. I really am sorry for you all that hate your jobs and I am not being sarcastic or trying to be rude.

utahraptor

Gold

Post by utahraptor » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:40 pm

utahraptor wrote:
drama

please expound
wait you just seem to be some sort of UVA 3L

color me disappointed

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:40 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:My professor took a 90% pay cut to start teaching law. That's how bad biglaw sucks.
And federal judges (including our current chief justice) will sometimes take even bigger pay cuts than that. But I think that has more to do with some people really wanting to be professors and judges, and less to do with big law sucking.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:42 pm

Wahoo has extensive 10 week experience at SulCrom DC (Sulcrom has a DC? I know I'm surprised too). Listen to his hope and change

gulcregret

Bronze

Post by gulcregret » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:44 pm

fats provolone wrote:
yea i'm in LA and weekends are sacred here. we had a brief due monday and 5:00pm sharp on friday the partners were like "let's wrap it up guys, if it's not perfect yet it's not gonna get any better over the weekend" lol @ those NYC fools.
lol, nice sarcasm, almost thought you meant it at first read. My point was that gov doesn't really expect you to work weekends where biglaw does. Not that NY is the only place on earth where people work weekends.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Wahoo has extensive 10 week experience at SulCrom DC (Sulcrom has a DC? I know I'm surprised too). Listen to his hope and change
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZHvd0ks7Es

Cogburn87

Bronze

Post by Cogburn87 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:46 pm

gulcregret wrote:
Cogburn87 wrote:Or maybe they're actually right and biglaw is generally shit everywhere
All these people complaining about hating their jobs but still have time to post on a message board and make $600/day. Biglaw is not shit in DC at least not in my practice area. I really am sorry for you all that hate your jobs and I am not being sarcastic or trying to be rude.
Yeah. I wonder how people who sit in front a computer for 12+ hours a day with irregular work flow and little supervision manage to find the time to poast. Probably means their jobs aren't that bad

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”