Worth it to apply to jobs with less than 6 months experience Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Worth it to apply to jobs with less than 6 months experience

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:15 pm

I'm currently employed and have a decent job and I just saw a posting a job that is ideal for me. Thing is, I've only been practicing for 4 months now in a small firm. The job calls for those with 1+ years of experience. I have gained some pretty good experiences in my short stint as attorney, i.e. trials, depositions, even took part in an appeal. However, it has come to my attention that a promise that was made to me when I signed on will not be met. I'm married and was supposed to transfer offices to one of our branch locations but the guy I was to replace decided not to retire or branch out like he originally planned and I'm stuck here living 6 hours away from my wife. The job I'm looking at will pay about the same and its more interesting work, more inline with what I envisioned as my career, and only 30 minutes from my wife and our house. Definitely has more exit options.

I hope this isn't abusing anonymous posting.

Flanker1067

Silver

Re: Worth it to apply to jobs with less than 6 months experience

Post by Flanker1067 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 pm

Those reasons are perfectly legitimate. Apply.

Gold

Post by 052220152 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:29 pm

Man, that's a wild commute. I'd definitely apply. Your current firm may feel a bit spurned, but this seems like something you should definitely do considering your personal circumstances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:39 pm

Jim Jones wrote:Man, that's a wild commute. I'd definitely apply. Your current firm may feel a bit spurned, but this seems like something you should definitely do considering your personal circumstances.
I only see my wife twice a month.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:Man, that's a wild commute. I'd definitely apply. Your current firm may feel a bit spurned, but this seems like something you should definitely do considering your personal circumstances.
Is this a bad or good thing?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:34 pm

mvp99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bad, lol.

ditch digger

Bronze

Post by ditch digger » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:38 pm

I'm sorry that your firm dicked you over like that. I don't see any problem in applying for the new job. They might automatically filter your application because you have been practicing law for less that a year. However, you'll never know for certain if you don't try.

Gold

Post by 052220152 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
mvp99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bad, lol.
yea dude, unless the money is too good to pass up short term, id try to get out of that situation as soon as possible. even taking a pay cut would be worth it if you could save on travel and second rent expenses. jobs are all well and good, but don't neglect your life.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”